A couple nice flat top cans from the wall at work....

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started work on an old building here. Actually a bar that predates Prohibition, but was a "Restaurant" during that time. Found these in a little void behind a wall, along with a 1929 wheatie. We've just gotten started so who knows what else may be waiting for me to find there....

100_2577.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 4

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !! Congrats ! Tore up the floor in my old cabin and found 2 Coors and one Bud. The cans were from the fortys and had instructions on the side with 3 ways to use a church key .

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep us posted what all you find. Was speaking with a guy tonight (gave me permission to hunt his yard) and he found 8 mercury dimes in the wall in one of the small bedrooms. He thinks it was a kids room.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are those old funnel top beer cans that are worth something. We live close to old can dumps. When I was a kid, my dad told me about a beer called "Golden Fifty One" and he described the funnel top. Apparently his friend collected cans and was looking for some and was going to pay $75 a can. Wasn't two weeks later, I was walking in the woods and found a whole pile of them. I have never found these type cans before or since. I could read the label to some, but unfortunately they were all mostly rusted. I never dug down to see if any were intact, so I will never know if I could have made some money or not.

Daddyd2x

Mar 31, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Whites 6000 DI coinmaster
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!
Heard a story a while back that the customers used to throw coins (tips) behind the bar (usually the mirrored part) and was meant for the bartender to retire with.
Keep lookin'
HH
D

ERobertson

Dec 9, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM V

GARRETT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool !

Please keep us posted.

-ER

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one bar my Mom worked at they threw all the foreign coins up to where they slid behind the back counter I only can imagine how much Canadian silver is back there,She worked there in the 60's and 70's.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funnel top cans are called Cone Tops and some can be expensive if rare and in mint shape. The cone tops fit on the bottling machines and were capped like a bottle. A cone top resembles a older metal or plastic brake fluid container.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!
Heard a story a while back that the customers used to throw coins (tips) behind the bar (usually the mirrored part) and was meant for the bartender to retire with.
Keep lookin'
HH
D

I've heard similar stories which vary on the reasoning. For bartenders retirement, for good luck, just for something to do while you were drinking...lol.

Good luck

NJ

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard similar stories which vary on the reasoning. For bartenders retirement, for good luck, just for something to do while you were drinking...lol.

Good luck

NJ

We found a few coins behind the bar, all modern though. We haven't gotten too deep behind it yet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread