Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A COUPLE OF NICE LITTLE COIN SPILLS

Yesterday I was up at the crack of dawn. I noticed the sun reflecting off The Freedom Tower and took a picture that I thought you guys might enjoy. Shower, Breakfast, Pack up the bike and go. Absolutely no traffic, arriving at the park in 20 minutes.
I noticed a rocky outcropping that I know I would have climbed as a child. If only I was the guy who decided to manufacture "Rock walls and the associated equipment."
Well I started swinging the coil over the grass that was at the bottom of these little cliffs. Lots of clad and the usual trash. Eventually, I climbed the sloping hill that led to the top of this Glacial Deposit. It was covered in grass and there were enough trees to provide shade. Nice little spot for a picnic or to just watch the world go by.
About 45 minutes after first setting up my E-trac, I started to dig a signal that was both high and low. I pulled a Wheat Penny and rechecked the hole with my Garrett Carrot. Sure enough, the pointer is sounding off, more wheat, then a Buffalo Nickel, then a Mercury Dime, and still more wheat. The final count for this coin spill was 9 coins. There was 7 Wheat Pennies, a Buffalo Nickel, and a Mercury Dime. This one spill could have made my whole day. I was sure to check the entire perimeter of that spot, just in case.
On my way down the hill, I came across the second spill of the day. This one netted 5 more Wheat Pennies. You better believe that I checked and rechecked that hole and the surrounding area numerous times.
Satisfied that I had squeezed everything I could from the area surrounding this Rocky Crag, I decided to visit a Grove over by the Soccer fields. I spent a few hours there picking away at some clad and a variety of targets. Towards the end of the day, I made a return visit to the Rocky Outcropping. You just never know. Maybe I could squeeze it some more. It was not to be. Reluctantly and with the loss of daylight I decided that it was time to go home.
My finds for the day were: 17q, 24d, 12n, 63 memorials, 20 Wheat Pennies, ( 19, 39(2), 40, 41, 42, 45(2), 46(3), 50, 52d(2), 53d(2), 56d, & 58d(2),), a no date Buffalo Nickel, 2 Mercury Dimes, (20 & 42) and a Canadian penny.
I also recovered a knife, a toy car, 3 keys, a brass lock, a push button, a lipstick tube, the top of a salt shaker that cleaned up just like silver, (no markings), a Native American Eagle medallion, an eagle ring, and some brass.
IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1950.JPG IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1958.JPG IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1963.JPG IMG_1960.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you made a great choice in where to hunt and it produced some nice totals. Well done on the silvers and wheats.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a prolific hunt. Nice finds on those spills. Isn't it funny how a hunt like that so often includes a yellow matchbox racecar? God bless those busy little boys, always leaving their cars behind...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding that awesome spill. :occasion14: I think you darn near cleaned that area out. Glad you stayed in NY state today :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread