What's new

A Couple Questions About a Find.

SCMDing

Full Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
140
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rock Hill, SC
Not sure we would ever know for certain what this was a part of, but it has raised a couple questions. I think that this forum is the best place to ask :)

First questions is how can I tell if the piece in the picture is silver? I am guessing that it is because it was in the ground pretty deep, and it was just tarnished. And when I did a little light polishing, it shined right up.

Second question would be if you could take a "best guess" of the age of the item, what would you guess? I really do not have a clue, I would guess early 1900's, but I thought I would just ask because maybe the pattern is a clue ( which is the same on both sides ). And there are some pretty darn smart people here on tnet! It looks like it was a circular loop ( that is crushed now ) and probably the end of a handle to a mirror or something like that.

The main reason that I am asking is because I am trying to figure out the time frame of some of the items I am finding on my property. I have found a Civil War button, an old pocket watch ( which I think was about 100 years old ) and some odds and ends like square nails etc. My house was built in 1960, but I am hearing that there were cotton fields here before the houses were built. I have about 4 acres and I am finding that I can easily miss things. The small spring creek that I found the piece from the picture in, I KNOW I went over before and it was a weak foil reading at 8+ inches. But I had some time (which I usually do not have) so I dug it.

Thanks for any info. ( and for all the wise-guys, the quarter is there for size comparison, I know it is not silver )

whatsit01.jpg
 
Not getting a picture...

Try again and we'll see what we can figure out.

Grip
 
Upvote 0
Bah, sorry. I forgot, my actual website ( hosted by internic, go figure ) is weird with hosting pictures!!! I will add the image to photobucket now, if you refresh the page, it should show up, it is flakey.
 
Upvote 0
You might want to try this site,you email picture and they give you
the pattern name,and date it. REPLACEMENTS LTD. :help:
 
Upvote 0
I think it's silver. with circular loop could also be handle from silver bell or rattle.
 
Upvote 0
Agreed IS. Early 1900,s. I have dug a few of these thinking "maaan these look like scissor handles buy, they are too fragile" Makes sense to me it's a handle.
 
Upvote 0
It's part of a small silver handled pair of scissors. I'll try to dig out an example for you later.
 
Upvote 0
dirt diva said:
You might want to try this site,you email picture and they give you
the pattern name,and date it. REPLACEMENTS LTD. :help:

Yea, I knew about my original problem and just forgot. It seems really weird that Network Solutions would have an issue with linking images to a website that they host. I have several websites with them and this is just something that annoys me!

4-H said:
Agreed IS. Early 1900,s. I have dug a few of these thinking "maaan these look like scissor handles buy, they are too fragile" Makes sense to me it's a handle.

and

johnnyi said:
It's part of a small silver handled pair of scissors. I'll try to dig out an example for you later.

I agree that it is a handle to a pair of scissors, even though they look fragile, they are pretty durable. ( I tried to unbend mine and it would have snapped if I tried any harder )

Here is an image of a similar one.

!B(sugkQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0us,BKdpcnQVMg~~_3.JPG


Gonna mark this as solved, as always, thanks to all TNET'ers :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom