What's new

A day at the lake

  • Thread starter Thread starter slimpickins95252
  • Start date Start date
S

slimpickins95252

Guest
6-quarters=4.50
17-dimes=1.70
63-pennys=.63
3-RINGS
1-sterling silver womens navy ring w/black onyx background
1-.925 silver mans band
1-kids ring
Assorted fishing weights and lures

Was rained out last weekend so I think this made up for it. Plus broke my record of more then two rings in one day, it was a good day.

FULL POUCHES TO ALL...
 
Upvote 0
No, I don't keep a log. I still have everything and can tell you where I found it all. I have thought of a log, but I'm just too lazy to maintain one and really don't see any purpose in it. Any good reasons why one should be maintained?
 
Good Job

Coinshooter,been busy so havent checked the old web for awhile..your day at the beach ended up well,I cant count the days where I have hunted all day then right before leaving I hit all the good stuff. I went out yesterday and did not hit much at the lake (the water level is way up) so went to a local 2 field baseball field and scored a .925 silver ladies ring and a wrap around silver bracelet clad for the day 6.20...Took a side job remodeling a friends home so only have one day a week to detect, and its rained most of them..My friend owns half the city block and the homes were built in the 20,s I get to detect al his property when I finish the remod. I researched the area and found that it used to be a large farm and the houses are about where the old barn used to be, should be some interesting hunting...Will let you know how it goes. May the beach be good to you.

Full pouches to all
 
What have you been finding in the last three weeks? Any Memorial Day Treasures? Any good summer vacations planned back to that old miners cabin up the waterfall? Sounds alot like a guy on here that I am having a difficult time finding his website again. He was talking of Pitt Lake, B.C. and a lost treasure up there and his experiences as a kid. Very enjoyable reading. I hear the flow in the Sierras has been abnormally high this year and should peak soon. Should be some good gold out there this year in those mountains.
Go to google and do a search on "Pitt Lake Treasure - British Columbia" and you will find some parts of his (Daryl Friesen's) site.
CS
 
coinshooter; I am on Daryl's site as well,same name as here. The address you are looking for is www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/ or you could look up Spindle Explorations on a search engine if that doesn't work. Fred
 
New to beach hunting

I just started beach hunting here in Wisconsin. It's probably not as lucrative as in California but I did find my first small gold ring. I am using a Garrett GTI 2000 which was the latest model when I bought it.

I had big ideas about finding tons of stuff with it and then didn't use it much. Part of my frustration with MDing is that I am pretty bad at pin- pointing targets. That why I decided to check out "sifting" through some sand. I'm still not that great at pinpointing but (what a surprise) the more I go out the better I am getting.

Coinshooter, I have been thinking about getting a new detector and have been thinking about the DFX or Explorer II but you seem to do well with the Sovereign. Does yours come with the ID meter. Theres no depth indication with the Sovereign is there? Not a problem? Can you tell the difference between a pulltab and ring with a Sovereign?

Good hunting guys.
 

Attachments

  • Aug 26 007.webp
    Aug 26 007.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 71
Beach hunting in Wisconsin must be excellent because you can just go around and around and never stopwink Hah!
I am not saying the Sovereign is the best machine by any means, but I like it and it has an fast learning curve. It does come with an idiot meter, but I was tired of being an idiot with my Whites Spectrum xlt and always depending on what the meter told me, so I made a point of taking it off of the Sov. I sold it on ebay. I just got tired of always trying to decide what to dig or not and decided that I would really try to use my ears instead.
This year I found over 22 gold rings. Not bad without my meter! As far as depth, no you really have no way of telling except for your ears and the strength or the signal (weak or strong), but that could just as easily be a very small target on the surface. Just got to dig if you want to get it all! There's no magic bullet that does it all (unfortunately). No on the difference's between a pull tab and a ring, although gold rings sound exactly like aluminum, so you don't want to discriminate out pull tabs anyway. Like I said, I just dig it all. It makes for a better year at the end when I count up my 10,000 corroded zinc pennies. I figure that's about 15,000 times I bent over. No wonder my back hurts! wink
 
Hello, Coinshooter (and others)!

Yes, I keep a log of all my finds. I hunt beaches here in the LA area, and have been in San Diego as well. I still have all my stuff too (in a safe place), and it is great fun on down days to go through and recall when and where I found it. But I keep a log for a few reasons:

1) In looking back, I have a clear record of things like tides, beach conditions, crowd conditions, trash conditions that tend to be forgotten over time. As I look through my log I can find similarities and patterns I might otherwise miss-- these help me pinpoint better potential for future hunts. :idea: These records also help me learn things like how my descriminator behaves at certain depths with certain targets, which I might otherwise forget.

2) Since I keep a log I have a reference in case there is ever a dispute-- say, for instance someone claims I found their item and takes me to court (it could happen) then I have a date and description record that can potentially help clear up a case. If someone lost their watch on 5/23/03 but the one I have was found on 4/31/03, and I can prove that I diligently record such finds, I have a good defense. Or if the IRS says you must have found $10,000 worth of stuff, and now you have to cough up taxes, :( you can go back and say 'Here's a record that shows I only found $1000 worth of stuff'. :) You never know.

3) It acts as an inventory, so you have a record of what you have, in case you are (God forbid) ever robbed, or something. I know of some THers that used to sell their stuff at swap meets. Someone followed them home one day, found out where they lived, and later broke in and stole their jewelry. :shock: (I'm NOT making this up!) If you have some record, it is easier to go to the police and tell them what you're missing, so they have a better chance at tracing it.

So, yeah, even if I get carried away with my hobby, I think keeping a journal is practical. I have it set up on my computer so I just keep a running diary. After spending a few hours hunting, then a few minutes cleaning and sorting, I spend a few minutes describing anything pertinent to the hunt and what I found. Its even easier than writing long responses on forum discussions! :wink:
 
I keep a photo log and can recall what area each item was found in, but as far as the rest of it, I'm just not interested. I used to keep a checkbook log on Quicken, but I soon realized that all of that data could be lost in a power surge of my computer, and I was entering it once in my checkbook and then investing time again to log it into my computer. I see this as the same kind of thing. I just want to count them up once, when I take them to the bank! I just don't have that much time to keep track of my pennies anymore. I just throw them into a coffee can and count them out a few times a year. Life just seems to get more complicated, the longer you are on this planet (just look at detectors as an example!).
 
Hey slim,
How's the pickens?
Haven't heard from you in a long time.
Summer's here, so I suspect your wandering around at that old cabin.
Find anything yet (the question everybody bugs you to death with)?
 
Well, it's 2013. Still at it, but the finds have gone from slim to none. It's been at least a year since I found a gold ring.
What did it? The idiots down here passed an alcohol ban. That killed the finds as well as the economy (everyone sold their gold when it climbed out of sight), plus people need $ to live and wearing bling is not the thing anymore. Now, add to that 27 new guys and gals with detectors because the price of gold and silver has risen and all the stupid get rich quick metal detector shows and you got yourself a recipe for no finds! Just gotta try twice as hard now, but hopefully the summer will pick up soon. See ya!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom