Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not the kind of post I anticipated writing after being a lurker on here since last summer.

Friday the doctor's nurse called and said the result of a biopsy on my small nose "pimple" was positive for BCC. BCC is Basal Cell Carcinoma.

Now that's the least aggressive mildest form of skin cancer you can get..but it sure is not fun and shocking to hear. An "excision" is planned. I wish the doctor would have talked to me herself and also told me what the alternatives are but she didn't. So here I sit probably much more concerned than I need to be. The nurse could not schedule the "excision" before a month and a half AND I am leaving in three weeks for a long (2 to 3 month) stay in Europe. I asked to be put on a cancellation list so we shall see.

Tomorrow is my yearly physical (good timing there) and I'll get the diagnosis sent to him. I'm not at all concerned about the excision OR alternate treatment happening in Europe (I just need my hand held ). I'm soon hitting 72 and actually am in great shape other than some mild arthritis.

The main reason for this post is to ALERT you all to this one danger we face from being in the sun! DO USE LOTION! DO COVER UP! I think we beach hunters are especially vulnerable.

Anybody wanting to contribute their experiences with BCC...I'm anxious and ready to listen.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope all turns out well for you my friend
when I travel down to Carrib. or Fla. where the sun is harse - even in my New Eng. waters and wearing a mask - I cover my face with best waterproof stuffout there
people always make fun of me all the time I spend in the sun detecting and never have a tan or get burnt
Ive many friends - bunch in Fla, that have gotten skin cancer cause they never thought theyd have to worry bout it
maybe you will help others out there too with your warning

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Hope all turns out good for you Dr Joe. This is always a concern for us beach hunters.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe - hope all works out. thoughts are with you. My dad has the same thing. He now has a scheduled apt every 6monts to burn/freeze/cut off any new items. Thankfully always caught early so no problems in last 10-15yrs.
I will be sure to put extra lotion on. Have fun on your trip. You are not missing any beach detecting around here with all the sanded in conditions.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck Doc! Keep us informed on how it goes, I'm sure many of us will share the same outcome.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to worry..... ive had it done. Couple of shots around it, then they quickly do the removal and test it right there to ensure they got it all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had basil cell cut off me several times. I now bathe in sunscreen SPF 50, wear long sleeve shirt rated SPF 50, broad bill hat with neck scarf that is SPF 50 too. I also always have small tube of sunscreen with me that attaches to my detector harness..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been lucky so far, but like Treasure_Hunter I don't tempt fate. Another tip: Don't look directly at the Sun.:laughing7:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been lucky so far, but like Treasure_Hunter I don't tempt fate. Another tip: Don't look directly at the Sun.:laughing7:

Good luck Joe. I've had some taken off. The first time was the fear its going to hurt but its over in a second. Since then 70 block on everything, long sleeve T, and a big hat. Maybe Sandman is right I might need a welders helmet for my eyes ;D
Please post updates good luck.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe this is Pete. Sorry to hear about this. I hope all works for you. Thanks for the heads up.HH GFP

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, I'm sure it will all go well. It's scary but very common. There's a company out of Florida that makes what they call a "Hoorag". It's a new type bandana that can be worn a number of different ways to protect your neck and head. I really like them because they're thin and have no effect on wearing headphones. I attached the link below. I d not work for them and am not advertising for them but its a great idea. Watch the video on the site that shows all the ways you can wear them.
Here's the link Hoo Rag | Seamless Bandanas, Custom Bandana Printing

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your treatment. Your message was clear and I hope everyone will lotion and cover up a little better because of this post. I know I will.... Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread