A Day with a Detecting Dude + A Promising Site

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes and ladies, Paco and I got out for some good ole' metal detecting with our metal detectors during a perfect metal detecting kind of day. :D We hit a Colonial site that has produced some old coppas (coppers) in the past. I only found 3 musketballs and a relic. Paco found 2 zoysketballs (musketballs) and a button. Since I only got one hour of sleep that night, I didn't feel too well while sweeping my relic machine. While digging a couple holes, for some reason, I "hacked" up my breakfast...thankfully, the contents went right into the hole, so I just put the dirt back and was off again, with a smile, in quest for treasure....whatever you dudes and ladies do, just never eat a half-dozen donuts 10 minutes before the actual relic hunting. Paco kept saying, while in the car, "Dude, you are going to regret that type of breakfast." I laughed, and stated, "Come on, dude, you are looking at superdetectorist!" :D

After our semi-decent datectin' day, I wanted to scout out a site that zoyboy had researched months back. Upon arriving to the site, we saw a farmer out in the field, so we decided to appoach him. To make a long story shot, we may have obtained permission to detect a Colonial tavern site. I asked him how long he had owned the property, "Since 1986 and no one has ever asked me to metal detect it." He told us, "Check back in with me in the fall, when I harvest...around October." We even told the farmer that we would make him a display case of some of the Colonial coins, buttons, and other relics.

I am just crossing my fingers on this one. Hopefully, if no one has ever asked to detect it from 1986-2006, it may be a virgin tavern site. Wish us luck, dudes!

Oh, by the way, Zoy, great research once again! This site will definitely put you on top for high-quality rasearch (research). This site was definitely difficult to find, but with your time, passion, and persistance, I think we may be in for a treat this fall.

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
While digging a couple holes, for some reason, I "hacked" up my breakfast...thankfully, the contents went right into the hole, so I just put the dirt back and was off again, with a smile, in quest for treasure....whatever you dudes and ladies do, just never eat a half-dozen donuts 10 minutes before the actual relic hunting.

Kirk,
First off, congrats on the finds.
Second, thanks for not posting pictures of your breakfast. :P
Third, is that where the term "doughnut holes" came from? ;D
Good luck on your future spot Dudes!
-MM-

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
ModernMiner said:
KirkPA said:
While digging a couple holes, for some reason, I "hacked" up my breakfast...thankfully, the contents went right into the hole, so I just put the dirt back and was off again, with a smile, in quest for treasure....whatever you dudes and ladies do, just never eat a half-dozen donuts 10 minutes before the actual relic hunting.

Kirk,
First off, congrats on the finds.
Second, thanks for not posting pictures of your breakfast. :P
Third, is that where the term "doughnut holes" came from? ;D
Good luck on your future spot Dudes!
-MM-

Thanks, MM, for the reply. I think I flooded two holes....whatever was in there, got a bath. hehehe I definitely need to come up with a better breakfast idea.

I have read a lot about the finds from virgin tavern sites. This one guy, from another forum, detected a Colonial tavern and found close to 85 coppers and 18 Spanish wilvers. Then, a guy from the same area, detected that same tavern and found 30 more coppers and a couple Spanish wilvers. Oh, I forgot "Seeker's" tavern site: I think he found around 70 coppers and some wilver. So, hopefully, we will find similar amounts. :o

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I'd love to score a site like that. Sounds like a fantastic hunting spot. I found a virgin AT a tavern before, but those are rare too. ;D
The spot Ridley and I detected this last w/end has led us to discover a 1600's-1800's road, a slave graveyard, and a cotton field that had an old store on that spot. A lot of it we won't be able to hunt until fall or winter, but it sounds promising.
Looking forward to your posts later this year.
-MM-

R

RUDY2003

Good luck in the future Kirk...

Keep safe and no barfin'....

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
ModernMiner said:
Man, I'd love to score a site like that. Sounds like a fantastic hunting spot. I found a virgin AT a tavern before, but those are rare too. ;D
The spot Ridley and I detected this last w/end has led us to discover a 1600's-1800's road, a slave graveyard, and a cotton field that had an old store on that spot. A lot of it we won't be able to hunt until fall or winter, but it sounds promising.
Looking forward to your posts later this year.
-MM-

MM, that cotton field sounds like a good spot. You should find some Colonials on that road as well. Keep up the research!

Hehe'ing about the virgin at the tavern. :D

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
so old roadbeds are good to hit? I have one from the 1800's on my property...I just assumed there would probably be nothing there

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
recshooter said:
so old roadbed are good to hit? I have one from the 1800's on my property...i just assumed there would probably be nothing there

Yes, dude, just think, back in the day, dudes would walk around drunken on them. hehehe Maybe after leaving a tavern.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I did have to drink a lot of Cafe Lattes during a few of my all-nighters in order to stay focused on the current research. I just hope some drunks got thrown out through the front door, literally. Hopefully, a Spanish Milled dollar and a half pistareen went down with the chap also, but never to be picked up by another chap again....hehehehehehehe :D :D

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
zoyboy said:
I did have to drink a lot of Cafe Lattes during a few of my all-nighters in order to stay focused on the current research. I just hope some drunks got thrown out through the front door, literally. Hopefully, a Spanish Milled dollar and a half pistareen went down with the chap also, but never to be picked up by another chap again....hehehehehehehe :D :D

If we had a time machine, we could go back to that tavern site and just sit outside the door. Then, when some dudes are frolicing in the yard, we could go behind them and start horseplaying around. I could always push you into one of the drunken dude's and, hopefully, he will fall down and his whole coin pouch will fly through the air with the entire contents flinging everywhere.

Second idea, we could sit outside the door again and when the drunken dudes are walking outside, we could stick our leg out and trip them. But, we will have to be ready for a brawl then...even better. More coins flinging onto the historial turf. During the brawl, my punches will be focused in the coin pouch area. hehehe

Third idea, we could frolic with the dudes outside, and I could ask one a question: "Do you have change for my Milled dollar here, kind sir?" (stated in an English accent) Then, when he spills the contents of his pouch into his hand, I could smack underneath his hand so that the Colonials and wilver will fling somewhere. Mind you, this will be at night time. hehehe

Last idea, we could pick on the stable boy. You know, this boy will have some coppas on him. hehehehe

Dudes, any other ideas?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
KirkPA said:
If we had a time machine, we could go back to that tavern site and just sit outside the door. Then, when some dudes are frolicing in the yard, we could go behind them and start horseplaying around. I could always push you into one of the drunken dude's and, hopefully, he will fall down and his whole coin pouch will fly through the air with the entire contents flinging everywhere.

Second idea, we could sit outside the door again and when the drunken dudes are walking outside, we could stick our leg out and trip them. But, we will have to be ready for a brawl then...even better. More coins flinging onto the historial turf. During the brawl, my punches will be focused in the coin pouch area. hehehe

Third idea, we could frolic with the dudes outside, and I could ask one a question: "Do you have change for my Milled dollar here?" (stated in an English accent) Then, when he spills the contents of his pouch into his hand, I could smack underneath his hand so that the Colonials and wilver will fling somewhere. Mind you, this will be at night time. hehehe

Last idea, we could pick on the stable boy. You know, this boy will have some coppas on him. hehehehe

Dudes, any other ideas?

Where you guys wrestlers in school, because man you have to killer attitude and oviously, a very strong positive mental attitude. You a freakin riot in your posts of late buddy, you really have a way to lighten things up around here and that is such a good thing. Wrestle ya for that colonial verses my gold coin ring from Saturday ;D

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Bdoo, no, we weren't wrestlers in high school. Zoy and I were football players. I was the graceful wide receiver, making one-handed grabs and burning the other dudes down the sideline, while, Zoy, was the bruising linebacker...tossing dudes to the side while in pursuit of the treasure...the dude with the football.

I just like to have fun, dude. A lot of dudes on this forum take this hobby too seriously. I am not saying that I don't take this hobby seriously, because I do, but life is too short to worry on trivial pursuits, man.

Kirk the Dude

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Even the poor stable boy would get dragged into it. LMAO!!!

It would be worth it for a time travel-dude just to see such frolicking. I don't think it would disrupt the time continue-umness too much.

Another idea would be to dress up like an Indian dude and offer to trade a colonial Iphone for some wilver. Then have the stable boy dude spill the coin pouch with the crack of a vernacular horse type whip! (at night) of course. :D

Ridley

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
oooohh man bad memories...... I did that too.

Mine was, three drinks and a shrimp cocktail.
It ended up in a wood chip hole in a Tot Lot.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
KirkPA said:
zoyboy said:

Third idea, we could frolic with the dudes outside, and I could ask one a question: "Do you have change for my Milled dollar here, kind sir?" (stated in an English accent) Then, when he spills the contents of his pouch into his hand, I could smack underneath his hand so that the Colonials and wilver will fling somewhere. Mind you, this will be at night time. hehehe

Dudes, any other ideas?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Ridley said:
Even the poor stable boy would get dragged into it. LMAO!!!

It would be worth it for a time travel-dude just to see such frolicking. I don't think it would disrupt the time continue-umness too much.

Another idea would be to dress up like an Indian dude and offer to trade a colonial Iphone for some wilver. Then have the stable boy dude spill the coin pouch with the crack of a vernacular horse type whip! (at night) of course. :D

Ridley

Hehe'ing at the Colonial Iphone....I bet we could also pick pocket the tavern dudes. Maybe I could also talk "sweet-nothings" into the decorous ladies ears, "Hey, you are looking good in that outfit, can I have some wilver? If no wilver, can I have a coppa?" :-*

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Just wondering if she's "seated" when you are talking to her. Also, ask if there's a "barber" in town. :D
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread