A Death and a Rumor

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Just on the northern edge of Pawhuska, on the west side of old highway 99 a short distance south of the Soldier Creek bridge is a flat place place on a small rise. A one room house once stood here but was destroyed one cold winter night when it caught fire in 1951 or 52. The occupant, an elderly widow, perished in the fire. I was told her financial status was such that she never needed for anything and that she led a modest lifestyle. It was also said that shortly after her death the rumor circulated of her having a lot of money hidden on the property. This is a common theme throughout the country because many people who had lived through the great depression still had little or no trust in the banking system.
Stories like these circulate, but consider that she had no significant needs simply because she led a modest lifestyle.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hear of these stories a lot. My own father found a mason jar full of half dollars in an old shed as a kid near the bird creek bridge in Barnsdall. Simular story surounds a place in Pershing. I am going to start hitting the banks up for qtrs and halves to find a little silver...sometimes you find some really good stuff. All you are out is the time it takes to go through the rolls and research on the coin(s). Ran into a head stone on a hill side and all I could make from it was "son of brave". Neat stuff, it had been busted up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions