A desperate son and a father with no answers.....HELP!

Hi gator6romeo
This is Cathy (honeycat1007). For encrusted coins about the fastest way to clean these coins are a of distilled water, and time... you might want to find a old toothbrush and cut the bristles down about halfway, that will make it a bit stiffer. Olive oil, is also a good way to loosen some of that 1700 year old dirt. most important tool is time, although a toothpick helps alot too!!..
**For more radical methods of cleaning I must put in a disclaimer**
Patina is desired by most collectors, most dont want to see a shiny coin. this method will strip the patina
With that said, get some muradic acid, put it in a plastic cup about 1" deep and drop a coin down there, chemical roast that baby! it will take about 30 seconds, pull it out, DONT TOUCH THE ACID! rinse it real well. like 2 minutes scrub with your toothbrush, and rinse see what you have, if neccessary repeat the process. Now you might find your coin relatively clean except for black char... take your household greenpad and lightly rub it till you get the best coin you possibly can
I wouldnt tell you to do something I havent done, I have had mixed results with this, but it works fairly well to get rid of cemented dirt fast, and works good with brass coins too... if you find a coin with 3 military standards on back theres a good chance its brasss (those are provincial coins)
btw if you like the link to my website, just email me

Attachments

• trajan.JPG
    trajan.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 525
WD-40 in a 90 day soak, change fluid every 30 days! (Damage Unknown but works great on them romans)

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back