Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6603.JPG
my parents bought what was once a school house from the late 1800's I was climbing around the attic to see how the original ceiling and structure was laid out. this strange carved board was between the rafters above the original plaster ceiling, the school house used to have a cupola and a bell, I didn't see any signs of that above this board but for what ever reason I feel like maybe this board was a rope guide to ring the bell but that's nothing but a hunch. anybody familiar with old architecture that maybe recognizes what this is or why its there?... it might be worth adding the only other thing up there is debris from the original roof basically splinters and a few nails so I don't think this board ended up there by accident

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a BBQ vent, may have had a sliding board under it at one time to ventilate the room below it?
BBQ vent.jpg

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What are we looking at? Is that looking down at the ceiling joists or is that looking up through the rafters? If that is the rafters, how far down from the peak of the roof? It has obviously seen some modern day repair or replacement as evidenced by the OSB sheathing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm above the ceiling kneeling on the rafters looking down between them, I could stand on the rafters but had to crawl to get around so id guess 7ish feet to the roof.
yes the roof was replaced with a metal one at some point with an osb base, the original roof I'm guessing was a shake shingle because of the wide spacing between the boards, the exact same construction technique I saw in my outhouse when I put a new roof on it. it might be worth noting the ceilings are 11 ft so what ever it was it wasn't easily reached from below

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm above the ceiling kneeling on the rafters looking down between them, I could stand on the rafters but had to crawl to get around so id guess 7ish feet to the roof.
yes the roof was replaced with a metal one at some point with an osb base, the original roof I'm guessing was a shake shingle because of the wide spacing between the boards, the exact same construction technique I saw in my outhouse when I put a new roof on it. it might be worth noting the ceilings are 11 ft so what ever it was it wasn't easily reached from below

Okay.. so you are in the attic space, kneeling on the ceiling joists, looking at the ceiling of the room below?

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Was the place ever a fallout shelter? Maybe it was intended to be used as a stencil at some point?
IMG_0131.JPG

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty odd... I've renovated and worked on a lot of old buildings and that's a new one on me. I can see how the holes were made, but what they were for???

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
It isn't a rope guide for the bell... no wear from the rope.

I see debris from the old roofing, but no OSB.

Do you see any other blocking between any other rafters??
Could just be blocking with what ever was handy (waste not/want not) to straighten the warped rafter when the ceiling was being finished.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I still don't know if it is in the roof (between the RAFTERS) or ceiling (between the CEILING JOISTS). If it is in the roof rafters, I have seen old roof ventilators mounted to boards of various descriptions that had screen mounted to the bottom. I do see small pieces of wood tacked to your board as well that were obviously meant to hold something in place ..perhaps screen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok lets see maybe I'm leaving out details. it was a school house that was one rectangle with 11' ceilings. the school house was moved and remodeled the inspector thought some time in the 70's, part of that remodel they lowered the ceiling to 8' but left the original above, so you have an 8' living space then new ceiling. then a 3' air gap and the original ceiling, above the original ceiling is the attic. I am in the attic above the original ceiling. the osb I think some of you are seeing is actually tounge and groove planks that I think were the base for the plaster on the ceiling. I'm am on the rafters... I don't want to call them trusses because I don't think that's the proper term for what I call a stick built attic but anyway I'm on the bits holding the roof up and tying the walls together looking down on the original ceiling with the roof above my head. there are a few planks to crawl on but that is the only thing between the rafters I crawled front to back looking to see if there were any treasures hiding up there. and that was the only thing up there that wasn't small splinters ad roofing nails, the room below was the classroom then a living room and I don't think its related to a a stove because there's a chimney in the center of the attic... I hope that helps clear up any confusion

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... after typing that I was thinking maybe it has something to do with moving the house? I wasn't clear in my last post but the house was moved some time when they still used lathe and plaster because there is an addition with lathe and plaster construction, then it was renovated ceilings lowered blown insulation a second addition some time in the 70's when energy efficiency became trendy. I'm not familiar with how they moved houses in the early 1900's but could it be an anchor point? maybe why the rafters are doubled up? I'm having trouble loading pics not sure why its rotating some of them, the wall paper one is in between ceilings and the blown insulation goes down. others show the tounge and groove boards and lathe and plaster
IMG_6600.JPG IMG_6620.JPG IMG_6619.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6608.JPG
    IMG_6608.JPG
    833.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6615.JPG
    IMG_6615.JPG
    813.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6604.JPG
    IMG_6604.JPG
    761.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: