sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From where I live in central California the snow is only an hour away, the ocean is two and a half hours, and San Francisco and Los Angeles are each around a three hour drive. This allows for some very nice day trips when my wife and I want to escape the 110 degree heat that the summers here can produce.

Yesterday we decided to head west to the ocean. I threw one of my detectors in the trunk and we ended up at a nice beach that is about a half mile long. I know that some old silver coins as well as jewelry have been found here so my hopes were high.

I started in the wet sand and worked along the shore line. Strange, no signals...at all. Nothing. The only tone I heard was when I swung a little too close to my scoop. Once I ended up at the end of the beach I turned around and worked a small cut in the dry sand on my way back. After walking about a mile I had found absolutly nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Not even a pull tab, bottle cap, fishing weight or piece of melted aluminum.

I threw a penny in the sand just to make sure that my machine was working properly, which it was. Needless to say I was a bit frustrated that I hadn't found anything. I was actually starting to get a little angry that I hadn't come across any targets and had wasted my time here.

But then I looked up from the sand and took my headphones off. I looked around and realized that I hadn't been hearing the waves crashing or sounds of the ocean. After a moment of listening to the birds, smelling the fresh salty air and feeling the gentle breeze coming off of the water it dawned on me how lucky I actually am. A huge portion of the population in our fine country isn't as blessed as I am to be able to just go to the ocean at a moments whim.

The real treasure today was actually being at a beautiful west coast beach (which is evidently trash free), while watching the sun set with my wife. It was a reminder that treasure can come in many different forms.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468877602.120203.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23
Beautiful picture and wouldn't it be great if all of our beaches were that clean. Weekend crowds in our area leaves mucho empty beer cans and all sorts of garbage on our Texas beaches. Thank for you post & I wish you many great finds while out dir fishin.

Texas ED

You're right, we all tend to get caught up with things that aren't really that important. We need to take time to enjoy our TIME

Very good post and well written. Thanks.

Yep the treasures we find are on many levels!

So true. No such thing as being skunked on a day as beautiful as that. Whoever said "your treasure is where you find it" had it right. :occasion14:

When the big one hits, you won't have to travel to the beach. It will come to you. And I wonder about that beach. Friend and I hit Zuma Beach near LA in the late 70's. Didn't find a thing. Then realized that on a NUDE beach, there ain't no pockets for coins to fall out of. Wonder if your beach is that way.:dontknow:

When the big one hits, you won't have to travel to the beach. It will come to you. And I wonder about that beach. Friend and I hit Zuma Beach near LA in the late 70's. Didn't find a thing. Then realized that on a NUDE beach, there ain't no pockets for coins to fall out of. Wonder if your beach is that way.:dontknow:

There were about a hundred people out there (fortunately all clothed), but they were mainly on the south end of the beach where the parking lot was. I think that particular beach must have just been sanded in on the day I went and any targets that may have been there were just too deep.

To the right of the fishing pier isn't bad, I like that spot for fishing and detecting.The state park guys told me it was o.k.The spot my wife and I love is just a little further down the road where the elephant seals pull out on the beach.

Last edited:
To the right of the fishing pier isn't bad, I like that spot for fishing and detecting.The state park guys told me it was o.k.The spot my wife and I love is just a little further down the road where the elephant seals pull out on the beach.

There was a park ranger patrolling the area who actually suggested a few spots to hit. Perhaps I'll take a run over there later in the week. To the right of the pier is where I was focusing my detecting. There was also a guy surf fishing in that area but he hadn't caught anything.

The beach you are referring to where the elephant seals are - is that north or south of San Simeon? I can't recall the last time I have driven on Highway 1 north from there, but I'm always up for an exploratory drive.

There was a park ranger patrolling the area who actually suggested a few spots to hit. Perhaps I'll take a run over there later in the week. To the right of the pier is where I was focusing my detecting. There was also a guy surf fishing in that area but he hadn't caught anything.

The beach you are referring to where the elephant seals are - is that north or south of San Simeon? I can't recall the last time I have driven on Highway 1 north from there, but I'm always up for an exploratory drive.

North just a little ways.

awesome. so true. i may not have all that, but i have plenty to enjoy in my location if i stop, look, and listen. thanks for the good reminder!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back