A few beauties!

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few of my finest points in color and quality. We are lucky to have a lot of colorful and high quality chert here in Southern Illinois.

These were all found in the same creek within probably the same half mile stretch.

I’m hoping to find a few more of this quality this year and frame them up together. This here represents a lot of hard work but it sure is worth it!

BG

4D69C3F4-463D-48A9-BF47-99F82F5B4BEC.jpeg

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top notch killer points , what do you put on them a mineral oil ? Really makes the colors pop

Those are beauties. I'm guessing that the tumbling by and the tannins in the creek do it for you. Most of my creek finds come right out of the water looking like that. That Hardin is rockin'.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Congrats! Still waiting to find my first one.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most if not all of those are made of Kaolin flint from Union Co. IL. I've hunted the stuff for many years for knapping stone. Gary

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually don’t put anything on them... however, oil from your hands helps to shine them up a little. After I find a new one I’ll put it on my desk for a few weeks and Pick it up every now and then. For the most part, those points came out of the creek looking like that..

Question, which ones are the “top notched” ones? I see corner and side notched and stemmed but no top notched.... I thought it was funny ��

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most if not all of those are made of Kaolin flint from Union Co. IL. I've hunted the stuff for many years for knapping stone. Gary

I’ve been there and it’s beautiful material. It’s about 3 hours south. Thank God we aren’t stuck with all Mill Creek chert because that doesn’t make for very pretty points. That’s not too far away from iron mountain. From what I’ve read mill creek chert was better for making larger tools.

I think the red point on the right is heat treated Burlington and potentially the table rock on left but I’m not very good at identifying materia though.. I actually brought a full bag of chert examples that I’ve collected from creeks around here to cahokia mounds and some of what they said I had was Salem, glacial till, st Genevieve, quartzite, Koalin and Burlington.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some awesome points! Great material too!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Those are beauties. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread