What's new

A few beauties!

BobGuy

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
331
Reaction score
830
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few of my finest points in color and quality. We are lucky to have a lot of colorful and high quality chert here in Southern Illinois.

These were all found in the same creek within probably the same half mile stretch.

I’m hoping to find a few more of this quality this year and frame them up together. This here represents a lot of hard work but it sure is worth it!

BG

4D69C3F4-463D-48A9-BF47-99F82F5B4BEC.webp
 
Upvote 0
Top notch killer points , what do you put on them a mineral oil ? Really makes the colors pop
 
Top notch killer points , what do you put on them a mineral oil ? Really makes the colors pop

Those are beauties. I'm guessing that the tumbling by and the tannins in the creek do it for you. Most of my creek finds come right out of the water looking like that. That Hardin is rockin'.
 
Great finds, Congrats! Still waiting to find my first one.
 
Most if not all of those are made of Kaolin flint from Union Co. IL. I've hunted the stuff for many years for knapping stone. Gary
 
Nature's helping you with the color, Nice points!!
 
I actually don’t put anything on them... however, oil from your hands helps to shine them up a little. After I find a new one I’ll put it on my desk for a few weeks and Pick it up every now and then. For the most part, those points came out of the creek looking like that..

Question, which ones are the “top notched” ones? I see corner and side notched and stemmed but no top notched.... I thought it was funny ��
 
Most if not all of those are made of Kaolin flint from Union Co. IL. I've hunted the stuff for many years for knapping stone. Gary

I’ve been there and it’s beautiful material. It’s about 3 hours south. Thank God we aren’t stuck with all Mill Creek chert because that doesn’t make for very pretty points. That’s not too far away from iron mountain. From what I’ve read mill creek chert was better for making larger tools.

I think the red point on the right is heat treated Burlington and potentially the table rock on left but I’m not very good at identifying materia though.. I actually brought a full bag of chert examples that I’ve collected from creeks around here to cahokia mounds and some of what they said I had was Salem, glacial till, st Genevieve, quartzite, Koalin and Burlington.
 
Very nice finds! The Lost lake id my favorite...
 
Wow those are some awesome points! Great material too!
 
Those are beauties. Congratulations :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom