A few finds with the XP Deus in an Extremely Iron Infested area!

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an area I have pounded with numerous high end detectors over the years and it is also one of those areas that is extremely infested with iron! I was able to pull a 1893 Barber Quarter and .925 Sterling Silver Ring which had a Makers Mark dating it back to the 1930's and a 1925 Buffalo Nickel!
5-5 040fb.jpg

Upvote 10

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could have used a detector like that when the sidewalks were torn up here a few years ago. They used the trash furnace clean out for fill! Talk about multiple iron! Whew!

Nice finds!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds my friend. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not surprise me that you found a Buff nickel ! But most high end machines will give you a high tone amongst Iron ! Nice finds ! never the less ! maineRelic

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! I have a Deus as well and love it for a lot of reasons. What setting/program do you use to hunt the iron laden trashy areas?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That deus is a beast, I watched tons of youtube vids of it, truly amazing machine, unfortunately way too far outta a my price range

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. That is an awesome Barber.

I have been looking at that XP Deus. Seems like an awesome machine. Maybe give those Minelabs guys a run for their money.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That is an awesome Barber.

I have been looking at that XP Deus. Seems like an awesome machine. Maybe give those Minelabs guys a run for their money.

The minelabs are too heavy & have a much slower recovery rate. Field hunting is about area covered & the deus will run rings around them. But it's not quite as deep (so beats it on unploughed grass), I've never cared about depth as all my roman coins are ploughed up on the top, you go much deeper than 10-12 inches on ploughed land, the Archies get excited about undistubed layers. So in the UK it is the best around machine. Although I'm happy with my XP goldmaxx power which with the 11" coil get the same type of capability.

Not every high end machine has this high a recovery rate, it was designed to find 10mm silver coins in a bag of nails.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched quite a few videos on the Deus just the other night, and was really leaning towards giving one a shot... but after a day in the fields with my Minelab which at this point is an extension of my arm, it's hard for me to get there. I am sold on the detector, but am also sold on what I've been using for 13 years.

And for the record not all field hunting is about covering ground, and that is certainly the case here because for our old sites there was very little land cleared around them, and the plow will only spread things so far. Most of the time we have to walk a lot is just to find the site, and once we do you stick fairly close around it. But some sites can cover a fairly large area, and you do have to extend yourself out at some point.... so you can still make an argument for a Deus, just not a strong enough one for me to think it would be worth switching from my explorer. Where I'd like to try it is in iron, which I do well in with my explorer, but would definitely give another detector a shot if I felt I could do better. The thing is I can't really see myself making the switch completely, so not sure if I'd learn to use the XP as good as I would want to. That said, I would LOVE to be as happy with the Deus and drift my explorer. At this point I'd say I'm 50/50 about trying one.... just a lot for a detector if it ends up being a back up.. but would be good for the fresh plowed fields though. :icon_scratch: There's just so much to like about it I can see myself buying one.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new Deus arrived last Thursday. My friend came up on Friday and I took him to a house I had permission to detect. As soon as we started swinging (him with his CTX3030, me with the Deus) he mentioned how much iron was in the ground. All I knew to do was turn the machine on and hunt in the first program that came up which is Basic 1. At the end of the day I had 3 mercs and 4 wheats. He had a merc, war nickel, and 5 wheats. I can't begin to imagine how much better the machine will perform once I learn how to set it up to specific areas I'm hunting.

OP
OP
T
Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Everyone for all of the comments! If anyone has questions about the XP Deus feel free to contact me anytime and I also have great deals on them for TNET members!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I have a Deus as well and love it for a lot of reasons. What setting/program do you use to hunt the iron laden trashy areas?
Deus fast would be my choice, I used this setting on Sunday in the same type of site...heavy iron :thumbsup: Nice finds, did you take any pictures of the type of iron that was in the area..was just wondering about the size of the iron targets. Hope you don't mind me posting the type of iron I was sifting through to get the small Saxon Coin. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/415001-last-day-out-saxon.html

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched quite a few videos on the Deus just the other night, and was really leaning towards giving one a shot... but after a day in the fields with my Minelab which at this point is an extension of my arm, it's hard for me to get there. I am sold on the detector, but am also sold on what I've been using for 13 years.

And for the record not all field hunting is about covering ground, and that is certainly the case here because for our old sites there was very little land cleared around them, and the plow will only spread things so far. Most of the time we have to walk a lot is just to find the site, and once we do you stick fairly close around it. But some sites can cover a fairly large area, and you do have to extend yourself out at some point.... so you can still make an argument for a Deus, just not a strong enough one for me to think it would be worth switching from my explorer. Where I'd like to try it is in iron, which I do well in with my explorer, but would definitely give another detector a shot if I felt I could do better. The thing is I can't really see myself making the switch completely, so not sure if I'd learn to use the XP as good as I would want to. That said, I would LOVE to be as happy with the Deus and drift my explorer. At this point I'd say I'm 50/50 about trying one.... just a lot for a detector if it ends up being a back up.. but would be good for the fresh plowed fields though. :icon_scratch: There's just so much to like about it I can see myself buying one.
It's funny you saying this, but I would be looking to get a Explorer11 if I thought I could swing it for more than a hour, the biggest factor in me buying the Deus was the weight, with out doubt the Explorer11 and Etraq is as good, if not better, as the Deus.

SS

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the Deus for three months and not fully unlocked it yet, but had an interesting test the other day with a guy using a CTX3030. When each one of us had a nice target, we called the other guy over to check with his machine. Some of the targets I located he said he wouldn't dig, and vice versa. I picked his up and realized I would need a shoulder replacement within a week if I used it. I do think the circuitry in the Minelab will go deeper in solid ground, and that is extremely important, but in freshly plowed fields maybe not. The Deus is AWESOME in the air test in a tweaked relic mode, and my fellow hunter couldn't believe what it could do in my air demo. He complained that freshly plowed fields were a challenge for the ML because of too much air in the soil. I think the ML may have more potential with an expert hunter, but I don't have the time to invest so the XP had what I wanted.

The main factors for me were depth, recovery speed and weight.

Less than 3 lbs for a machine with an 11" coil with amazing speed/separation ability. C'mon! I can swing this thing fast all day and really cover ground which I need to do when the targets are not concentrated. No buying batteries either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread