A Few knives found along the way...

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Decided to thin my piles- and took a few pics of knives I'm letting go on other sites.
Since I had fresh pics- just posting here because most were picked up at Garage sales and Estate sales over the years.

Not the best or worst, just the top of the box for now...
Keep an eye out for similar - some can be great scores!

PS - the Brass CASE XX --- W.R. Case & Sons never made that knife... It was made by a Germany company to give to W R Case in order to secure a contract for them to build his knives at their Solingren Germany plant in the early 1940's...
101_0092.JPG 101_0098.JPG 101_0110.JPG 101_0119.JPG 101_0127.JPG 101_0135.JPG

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you get the info on that supposed Case knife? Case never had any knives made in Germany and in the early 40s Germany was at war with the world and there were no contracts with any allied nations. I think somebody gave you some bad info and I would like to see the blade markings. I think it is a bogus Case made in Germany sometime between the 1980s and 1990s. You should post it showing blade marks on AAPK the pocket knife forum and see what the guys there say.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Ford made trucks in Germany right up to our entry into WW2. They couldn't take their money OUT of Germany though. Glad you found those knifes in such good shape. Good luck.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ford made trucks in Germany right up to our entry into WW2. They couldn't take their money OUT of Germany though. Glad you found those knifes in such good shape. Good luck.

Apples and oranges, no Case knives made in Germany.

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Where did you get the info on that supposed Case knife? Case never had any knives made in Germany and in the early 40s Germany was at war with the world and there were no contracts with any allied nations. I think somebody gave you some bad info and I would like to see the blade markings. I think it is a bogus Case made in Germany sometime between the 1980s and 1990s. You should post it showing blade marks on AAPK the pocket knife forum and see what the guys there say.

Gunsil, That is what I said - Case DID NOT make this knife. It was not made after the Toledo Scales involvement in any version by Case companies. I do my research in documented archives, and seldom rely on forum comments...

This one --was "most likely" made in Solingren, Germany by (edited - because some folks thought blade stamp was a NAME) Herkenrath. In the late 30's and early 40's they made many samples with company logos in order for salesmen to go acquire those companies business. It is my belief that this particular knife was made by Herkenrath- for the purpose of presenting TO W. R. Case or his son, inorder to secure his business in manufacturing knives for them. ---They DID NOT secure his business- therefore very few were made.

WHY - the precise detail within the embossing exactly fit 4 other samples made in the late 1930's, by Herkenrath, for Pontiac Automobiles, the "First" Bayer advertiser, and two other German companies. Those intricate patterns of the many hundreds of versions of gentlemens knives are hard to replicate- even with fresh molds or fresh stamps!
The rivet pattern also rules out the majority of all versions. And, the blade is stamped “Bradford Germany” ---SEE PIC---. There is no Bradford Germany. Bradford PA, is the homeof W. R. Case’s office. Case has made a version of a Gentleman's knife -T3105 in the 50's and 70's- but not by the names Lobster, Grooming, or Ad knife. (<- edited here too because in brevity, I did not consider that Case did make a version just not in the 30's and not in Germany- and didn't expect I'd have to explain their other German made knives were blade stamped "Solingen Germany")
In addition, the block CASE XX logo ((and)) the blade stamp W. R. CASE & SONS were only used ((together)) randomly between 1914- into the mid 1940's. - This combination is not used again - (maybe in some nostalgia version here lately)…

Appreciate the comments in any case. No one has to agree -or disagree. PEACE
101_0090.JPG 101_0089.JPG

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knives 1more4me. On what other sites do you sell these? If posting the names on this forum perhaps you could PM me?

Thanks,
Mike

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Just some trivia, Bradford PA was also the home of Zippo lighters. I was in the service with a guy from Bradford and he proudly told us that. Seems like all our hometowns had something that they were famous for. I am originally from Danbury, CT - “Hat Capital of the World” (not anymore). Another buddy was from Momence / Momense? Illinois - “Home of the Gladiolus Festival”. There were many others. Funny how you remember silly things like that after so many years.
dts

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil, That is what I said - Case DID NOT make this knife. It was not made after the Toledo Scales involvement in any version by Case companies. I do my research in documented archives, and seldom rely on forum comments...

This one --was "most likely" made in Solingren, Germany byRostfrei P. Herkenrath. In the late 30's and early 40's they made many samples with company logos in order for salesmen to go acquire those companies business. [FONT=&]It is my belief that this particular knife was made by Herkenrath- for the purpose of presenting TO W. R. Case or his son, inorder to secure his business in manufacturing knives for them. ---They DID NOT secure his business- therefore very few were made.

WHY - the precise detail within the embossing exactly fit 4 other samples made in the late 1930's, by them, for Pontiac Automobiles, the "First" Bayer advertiser, and two other German companies. Those intricate patterns of the many hundreds of versions of gentlemens knives are hard to replicate- even with fresh molds or fresh stamps!
[FONT=&]The rivet pattern also rules out the majority ofall versions. And, the blade is stamped[/FONT][FONT=&] “Bradford Germany” ---SEE PIC---. There is no Bradford Germany. Bradford PA, is the homeof W. R. Case’s office. Case has never made any version of any Gentlemans knife - by any name (Lobster, Grooming, Ad, Gents, or otherwise).
In addition, the block CASE XX logo ((and)) the blade stamp W. R. CASE & SONS were only used ((together)) randomly between 1914- into the mid 1940's. - This combination is not used again - (maybe in some nostalgia version here lately)…

Appreciate the comments in any case. No one has to agree -or disagree. PEACE
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
View attachment 1808946 View attachment 1808947

That is an amazing story, fit for the ages. Knife is a modern fake Case. Rostfrei means rust free, or stainless, it is not anybody's first name. Case has never allowed anybody to put their mark on any knives not made by them. Case has most certainly made "lobster" pattern gentleman's knives pre-war, wherever you learned just about anything in these statements was terribly mistaken pretty much none of it is true.

dts52, Zippo is alive and well in Bradford, PA and owns the WR Case & Sons company whose factory is pretty near the Zippo plant. I have been to tours at both places, pretty cool.

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
That is an amazing story, fit for the ages. Knife is a modern fake Case. Rostfrei means rust free, or stainless, it is not anybody's first name. Case has never allowed anybody to put their mark on any knives not made by them. Case has most certainly made "lobster" pattern gentleman's knives pre-war, wherever you learned just about anything in these statements was terribly mistaken pretty much none of it is true.

dts52, Zippo is alive and well in Bradford, PA and owns the WR Case & Sons company whose factory is pretty near the Zippo plant. I have been to tours at both places, pretty cool.

Dang Gunsil, you are a typical forum pro - you again missed that CASE DID NOT MAKE THIS KNIFE - and diverted to arguing Rust free was a name- the Guys BLADE MARK WAS "Rostfrei P. Herkenrath". The guys REAL NAME was FRIEDR HERKENRATH.
Friedr Herkenrath
BTW, Case has had numerous knives over many decades made by other mfgers in other countries- might better get yourself a Sargent's Book...
And again, to avoid confusion, CASE DID NOT MAKE THIS KNIFE. Herkenrath did- in the 1930's to try to gain Case's business - and replace another GERMAN company that made CASE knives in the 1920's!
Consult your brand new Sargents Book!

Lobster knife by name - you may have me on that one- since names are quite interchangeable- but please, show me a case publication calling THIER product a Lobster knife...
Or not.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome knife collection, thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Interesting group

what is the story on this knife?
Clipboard01.jpg

I ask because I came across this knife at an old timers farm auction and I was to get it very low cost.
20171226_152454.jpg
20171226_152526.jpg
The old fella was in WWII and I suspect the knife is from France.
I had not seen any lock blade knife like this before.

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
The top one is most commonly called a Mexican Curved Fighting knife.

It's the locking mechanism and goat horn that makes them unique. (Clasp lock with ring). Likely has Spanish origins, or at least by mechanism, you'll find them by many names:
Mexican/Spanish Fighting knife, Tranchete Saca Tripas, Albacete, Navaja, --but the mechanism is also used by German and French makers too.

The bottom one very well could be WWII being a Parapluie a L'epreuve it is certainly French. Might be the first one of those I've ever seen with a clasp/ring lock! Good one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread