Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I set out to check on a field that I thought would be harvested by now, but no such luck. After a little scouting, I decided to return to an old reliable spot that has been pounded pretty hard and see if I could coax a few relics out or maybe get lucky and find a piece of Spanish silver. Things started out pretty slow, but after I got my mind focused to listen for the small and the deep targets, I started finding a few things. A lot of the targets were very iffy signals. By the end of the day I had two toasted coppers, half a shoe buckle frame, a tiny breeches buckle, several buttons and a cufflink, and my favorite find of the day - a bayonet scabbard clip. This one is different than the French & Indian War ones I have found in the past. It wasn't riveted to the leather like the ones from the French & Indian War. I believe this one dates to the War of 1812 as most of the buttons and coins are from that time frame. I included two French & Indian War bayonet scabbards in the picture fro reference.

This find, along with some .69 caliber musket balls, a couple War of 1812 era buttons, and some history of troops moving through the area give me reason to believe some troops stopped at this place. Hopefully some more War of 1812 buttons will surface.

Attachments

• 1) Copper in dirt.jpg
    1) Copper in dirt.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 2) 11-9-13 dirty.JPG
    2) 11-9-13 dirty.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 3) 11-9-13 clean.JPG
    3) 11-9-13 clean.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 4) Breeches buckle.JPG
    4) Breeches buckle.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 5) Scabbard Clips - top.JPG
    5) Scabbard Clips - top.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 155
  • 6) Scabbard Clips - side.JPG
    6) Scabbard Clips - side.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 7) Scabbard Clips - bottom.JPG
    7) Scabbard Clips - bottom.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 9
Congrats on finding the unusual! Makes me want to pull out all my cans full of "what'z its" and go thru them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back