Tennessee

Attachments

• IMG_71112.jpg
    IMG_71112.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 230

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I see some nice ones there..

Are you finding these marbles on the ground somewhere? For over forty years I'd see a marble on the ground and not pick it up. I sure do pick'em up now.

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
Hey MarbleGuy, I have found a few over the years while out metal detecting and never thought much of em,and I would say the last year I have been finding em anywhere I can, like flea mkts,yard sales,n auctions. I have had several back surgeries so swinging the coil and digging is a little much for me now. The marbles helps cure that itch and now I'm quite addicted to it. That was just a few of em I have ran across when I get some more time I will do some better pics.

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
My little desert ghost town..

..has antique marbles buried in the sands of every old abandoned house here. The town began existence during the late 1800s. Was going great guns by 1914. Had it's own railroad by 1921. There were over 5,000 people living here long ago. There's only a couple hundred people here now and fewer every year that passes.
I was helping to clean the sagebrush off the yard of a house built in 1930 a couple years ago. Began finding antique marbles but nothing special. Then an older man approached me,said he had heard I'm interested in marbles. He handed me a marble he had picked up off the sand a few feet from where I was standing. It was neon yellow. I went home,aimed a blacklight at it and it lit up like Las Vegas. It was an Akro Agate. I would estimate from what I've found already that there's,conservatively speaking from 50,000 to 100,000 antique marbles still buried under the sands of my ghost town. We get hurricane-force winds here that blow away the sands and reveal them.

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
Wow sounds like a great place! Got to love it when that black light smiles at ya like that!

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I have a giant chuckwalla lizard friend out there..

Best spot to dig for artifacts near Trona,Ca is the old dump in Boroslavy Canyon. That's about two minutes drive from my house. The dump dates from the mid 1800s to 1954. Location is terribly remote,surrounded by ancient volcanic lava flows and sagebrush. I have dug alone there for several years but recently a giant chuckwalla lizard has befriended me. Comes up close to me within reaching distance. Watches me while I dig. Cocks it's head to and fro while I speak to it. In that place of utter isolation,total silence and otherworldly landscape it is good to have a friend whatever the species. I'm beginning to understand how old timer desert prospectors fell in love with their mules.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions