A few more finds and some DRAMA today! :)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was driving through a small town looking for a house on Washington Street... or so I thought. I found out later that I was looking for Walnut and just had the wrong street in my head since I forgot to bring my paper of addresses written down with me.

But while driving around I passed a ball diamond and saw a guy detecting so I decided to stop and say hello. I think his name was Jerry, but I could be mistaken. I am HORRIBLE with names. We talked for a bit and he pulled out a rather large handful of clad. I then told him that if we could find the house then he was more than welcome hunt with me. I followed him around for a bit and then it hit me that it was Walnut St., not Washington! DUH!

I couldn't signal him down because I was driving my parent's van and apparently they have no working horn, haha. I was beating the heck out of that steering wheel with no luck. He eventually did find me and started hunting with me.

About 20min into the hunt a local cop pulls up and asks what I'm doing in the yard. He said that a neighbor had called in and reported me. I told him that I was just metal detecting for old coins and he told me to have fun and say bye.

Bear in mind that I was hunting a house yard on public property....

Then a neighbor comes up about 20min later and starts barking at me. On and on about how what I was doing was wrong. As soon as he showed signs of being angry I just politely said I was sorry and that I was leaving. He kept on going on and on. Oh it was a joy.

So this new guy from Elwood must think I'm some bad person or something. He didn't say anything to the guy either though, he just got in his van and left as well. I told him about this site, so hopefully he comes and checks it out and accepts my apology for both of the things that happened today.

BUT! I did manage to get some goodies from the yard before we get yelled at by some nosy neighbor,haha.

I managed 3 Indian Head Pennies (1896, 1898, 1904), 6 wheats, and a 1945P Silver Jefferson War Nickel.

The interference from electricity was horrid and I could rarely get the sens. on my explorer over 10.

But 2 wheats and the silver nickel were in a hole with 2 large rusty nails. I got a good signal, dug down and hit a null.... but the signal still sounded good when the plug was dug, so I pulled out the nails and got 3 more coins :)

Sorry guys, no pictures. I am at my parents house and don't have my camera or laptop with me.

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
STRESSSSSSSS @$#^&%#

glad you pulled a few IHs first bsco.
What does that put you up to now this year?
Keep the great finds coming. Looks like your fall is going to be filled with goodies!

Smiles!
BDoo

contractorod

Aug 27, 2006
Lawtey,Fl.
Man i cant wait for the day when i find 3 indians at the same place!I cant find any place old enough that people will let me hunt. GREAT FINDS!!!! ;)

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Hoorah for the 3 little indians. It's a shame that some people have no other purpose in life than to pi >:( >:( and moan over nothing.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
man you must not have too bad of a temper. i think i would have blasted back ( and then felt bad about it later ::)). way to go for taking the high road! nice finds too. i cant stand it when people insist on being A- holes. what problem could you have possibly been causing that guy? some people! >:( i hate hearing stories like this. (except for the part about the nice digs ;D) it makes me mad and i wasnt even there!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Nice finds.

My neighbor is that exact neighbor you described. LoL, everytime I have a fire to burn wood, shoot fireworks on the 4th or anything I do he is constantly a thorn. He video tapes me, calls the police, EPA, forestry department ...LoL.

Great job on handling that individual. Certainly no use in talking to someone like that, especially when they are in that state. I was rather enjoying my neighbors antics until he began making calls to my mother's home telling her what a problem neighbor I am. I finally managed to get a restraining order on him, its a shame that it comes to that sometimes. One good thing, my situation helped out the neighborhood. He was doing that to everyone, now he has no credibility :).

Sorry you had to deal with that. Some peps are never happy eh?

Congratulations on those great finds before the guy came. I hope that new detector you just met see's the situation for what it was.

Postalrevnant

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had permission to hunt why would you leave. let the guy rant!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boobydoo said:
STRESSSSSSSS @$#^&%#

glad you pulled a few IHs first bsco.
What does that put you up to now this year?
Keep the great finds coming. Looks like your fall is going to be filled with goodies!

Smiles!
BDoo

That brings my total to 47 on the year. I previously had a goal of 50 for the year. But with the recent tear that I have been on and the 1200 acres of farmland I have to hunt this fall full of old school, church, and house locations to hunt I am going to up my goal to 75. :)

hollowpointred said:
man you must not have too bad of a temper. i think i would have blasted back ( and then felt bad about it later ::)). way to go for taking the high road! nice finds too. i cant stand it when people insist on being A- holes. what problem could you have possibly been causing that guy? some people! >:( i hate hearing stories like this. (except for the part about the nice digs ;D) it makes me mad and i wasnt even there!

Yeah, for the most part I don't have a temper, haha. I'm pretty easy going and just try to avoid conflict. Although there were MANY things that I wanted to say but I just figured it would be easier to walk away than get into a stir over it.

Postalrevnant said:
Nice finds.

My neighbor is that exact neighbor you described. LoL, everytime I have a fire to burn wood, shoot fireworks on the 4th or anything I do he is constantly a thorn. He video tapes me, calls the police, EPA, forestry department ...LoL.

Great job on handling that individual. Certainly no use in talking to someone like that, especially when they are in that state. I was rather enjoying my neighbors antics until he began making calls to my mother's home telling her what a problem neighbor I am. I finally managed to get a restraining order on him, its a shame that it comes to that sometimes. One good thing, my situation helped out the neighborhood. He was doing that to everyone, now he has no credibility :).

Sorry you had to deal with that. Some peps are never happy eh?

Congratulations on those great finds before the guy came. I hope that new detector you just met see's the situation for what it was.

Postalrevnant

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I used to have one of those as well living right next door to me, haha. I had two dogs that she would ALWAYS call the humane society about. The best part was that I volunteered there about 20 hours a week at the time and would often be there when she called, haha. She claimed my dogs weren't being fed. Oh yeah, both of my dogs are a bit overweight,haha.

Neighbors like that sure are fun. :)
romeo-1 said:
If you had permission to hunt why would you leave. let the guy rant!

Well I had pretty much covered most of the yard anyways. Walking away was easier to do than getting into an argument with him and having him probably try to break my detector or something if I continued to hunt.

R

rvbvetter

Just reading about that moron is making me boil right now. You did good and made some great finds!! Normally not, but in an instance like that. I don't know if I could have stopped myself from not forcing the issue with that person. As I said. You did the right thing.
I'm just not always as wise as you were in that instance. I'm afraid at that moment, I might not have demonstrated the maturity you did. I applaud you for taking the right road. HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice going on the coins! Restraint is usually the best part of retreat. Having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent isn't usually worth the headache. HH and best of luck next trip.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rvbvetter said:
Just reading about that moron is making me boil right now. You did good and made some great finds!! Normally not, but in an instance like that. I don't know if I could have stopped myself from not forcing the issue with that person. As I said. You did the right thing.
I'm just not always as wise as you were in that instance. I'm afraid at that moment, I might not have demonstrated the maturity you did. I applaud you for taking the right road. HH

Yeah, it certainly wasn't easy, but I did manage to be polite and just walk away from the situation. If they had done that to me in my actual home town and I knew the guy I was hunting with a bit better then maybe things would have been different. But his temper was alreayd way up there so I didn't want to see what he could if I provoked him.

I wasn't concerned about my safety since I am a big guy (6'4" about 220lbs and in shape) but I didn't want him to hurt my explorer, haha :)

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that guy would definitely make it on my christmas card list ;D Nice finds

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job all around Bsco....It's easy to snap these day's....Again nice job!!!!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Nice work Big B--congrats on the 3 little indians.

LOL @ working at the humane society when someone calls to complain about you! Did you take the calls yourself?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
That guy is a jerk. if its public poperty you should be able to hunt it! Well Sunds like you had a good day! :)

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlw67 said:
Nice work Big B--congrats on the 3 little indians.

LOL @ working at the humane society when someone calls to complain about you! Did you take the calls yourself?

Haha, taking those calls would have been fun, but sadly all I got to do were the fun jobs like cleaning litter boxe and picking up dog poop, haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread