A Few More Unusual Things From The Ground

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A continuation of my previous thread of unusual objects I have found with my metal detector (unusual in this case means not a coin, trash or easily identifiable relic)

A thick copper ring that is 2 3/4" in diameter

DSCN9426.JPG

An old metal cap of some kind

DSCN9427.JPG DSCN9428.JPG

And this strange pseudo-bullet thing that is less than an ounce, 2" long and 5/8" in diameter

DSCN9429.JPG DSCN9430.JPG

Also, if this 1/2" diameter 1/10 ounce metal ball were a steelie marble or ball bearing, wouldn't it be magnetic? Mine is not.

DSCN9431.JPG

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting stuff! The ring could be some piece of horse harness hardware, I have no idea on the cap, and is the bullet a lipstick? If it's lead, it's a musket ball. IMO. Congrats on the finds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's lead, it's a musket ball. IMO. Congrats on the finds.

Thank you! I tried scratching it with a nail, and got a silver color flecked with rust. Are there ways to tell between steel and lead? It doesn't seem like lead but it's hard to tell.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of the top of the bullet/lipstick thing. There is a soft ridge where the two "sides" of the tube curve and meet. No holes.

DSCN9433.JPG

Double checked with a hematite and the ball is not magnetic and neither is the cap or bullet/lipstick (magnetic hematite sticks right onto iron and other ferromagnetic materials; it's a cool crystal to have around)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is the base to an old Revlon ribbed lipstick tube.

My Goodness, you're probably right! Searching for "revlon lipstick tube" not only gives me pictures of identical "caps" but also of the strange 2" long tube! Reminds me of the scene in Holes when Stanley Yelnats finds the lipstick tube of Kissin' Kate Barlow (I hope you get the reference, otherwise there is a book you need to read and/or a movie to watch) :)

Upvote 0

BlackbeardsGhost

Jun 7, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marble?

Also, if this 1/2" diameter 1/10 ounce metal ball were a steelie marble or ball bearing, wouldn't it be magnetic? Mine is not.

If its not metal and my dad had a big jar of clay marbles from either early americans or indians, could match that description.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its not metal and my dad had a big jar of clay marbles from either early americans or indians, could match that description.

It is metal because I found it with my metal detector. If it had been clay, I would've quickly regretted it when I scratched it with a wall nail. Instead, I saw a silvery color underneath what I assume is the rust and green corrosion.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The green color is from copper that is in brass. I have old engines that have brass check balls in the fuel and water pumps.
It is metal because I found it with my metal detector. If it had been clay, I would've quickly regretted it when I scratched it with a wall nail. Instead, I saw a silvery color underneath what I assume is the rust and green corrosion.

Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are interesting finds! Lots of good ideas on what they might be. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Raubgräber

Greenie
Sep 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff! The ring could be some piece of horse harness hardware, I have no idea on the cap, and is the bullet a lipstick? If it's lead, it's a musket ball. IMO. Congrats on the finds.

Agree about the ring, I found a few of those in an area with a lot of horse activity.

Last picture should be a musket ball, they are not magnetic usually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread