What's new

A few strange rocks

theviking

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
921
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what to think about these few finds. I guess the first one maybe just a crude chopper, or big core. Got nothen for the second piece, the last pic looks like two shallow quartzite bowls, or small anvil stones. Feel free to chime in if you can ID, or if you think they are just rocks. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_9737 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9737 (1024x681).webp
    76.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_9739 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9739 (1024x681).webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_9721 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9721 (1024x681).webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_9723 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9723 (1024x681).webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_9725 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9725 (1024x681).webp
    116.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_9749 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9749 (1024x681).webp
    73.1 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
Those are plain rocks. Look for flint chips and associated artifacts.
 
Thanks for the help and the advise. I guess I should have stated that these where found here on our property where I have found a dozen or so points and tons of flakes and cores. That doesn't mean that these aren't still just rocks, thanks again for the reply.
 
that top one is pretty obviously a core....
 
The other..if it shows use wear may be a mano.
The last could be a broken geode.
 
Last edited:
First is definetly an artifact. Think the rest is rocks.
 
Thanks for all the help. unclemac, all three pieces you mentioned are all quartzite, but different colors, I think the direct sunlight is washing out the true color. Here are a few more pics with better light, was hoping it was something more than just another core, but maybe not. Gator, I hadn't thought of mano on the second piece, maybe thats it. You might have something with the geode idea also. Thanks again for the help.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_9774 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9774 (1024x681).webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_9776 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9776 (1024x681).webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_9780 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_9780 (1024x681).webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom