What's new

A Figure Eight Relic?

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
Joined
May 23, 2009
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
267
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this relic near where the four Colonial coppers were found last Sunday. Does anyone know what it could have been?

Kirk

King Georges 002.webp
King Georges 01.webp
 
Infinity?

newInfinity.jpg


I also think it is a house number.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Pretty small for a house number but maybe a mailbox. I have seen numbers like that on utility poles. :dontknow: I don't know enough about colonial relics to say whether it came off of something from that period or not. I could see wagons or coachs back then being marked with numbers though.

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
Sorry no relic there . Pole or house #
 

Attachments

  • scan0036.webp
    scan0036.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0
definitely from a colonial utility pole. :thumbsup: :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
savant365 said:
Pretty small for a house number but maybe a mailbox. I have seen numbers like that on utility poles. :dontknow: I don't know enough about colonial relics to say whether it came off of something from that period or not. I could see wagons or coachs back then being marked with numbers though.

HH Charlie

Geez...give the guy a break...its a small house


Sorry, I forgot the smiley face :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
The numbers look like they are aluminum The military numbers were brass. I think these went on a utility pole.
 
Upvote 0
The font on the 5 looks like a modern font. The 8 looks older. Like vayank said, the CW numbers/letter were made out of brass, but in Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts, there is a pic where the letters VA & Numbers were cut from an unknown 'zinc' like metal. BUT, these letters/numbers were FLAT, not beveled. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I am wondering if they are lead filled on the backside.
 
Upvote 0
TheBreeze426 said:
The font on the 5 looks like a modern font. The 8 looks older. Like vayank said, the CW numbers/letter were made out of brass, but in Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts, there is a pic where the letters VA & Numbers were cut from an unknown 'zinc' like metal. BUT, these letters/numbers were FLAT, not beveled. Breezie

Whoa Breezie
You are top of things.
 
Upvote 0
Well, too bad it wasn't something cool. Never be afraid to post your relics, KKC. As old as the sites are that you guys dig, there will be something excellent that will need to be ID'ed eventually.


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Kirk,

If we rule out aluminum for a moment (1890+), I would guess the stamping technology to make concave numbers / letters out of sheet zinc was available by the 1850's or so, at least in theory; this was the dawn of the era of mass industrialization. However, sheet zinc that old would have to have some good soil conditions to avoid becoming really brittle. I would therefore guess aluminum by looking at it.

Hey, it's a relic... just maybe not the era you're seeking.

Never know what you're gonna find!

Chris
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Spot On, BigCy :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Mike
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom