A first- 3 gold in one day... AND almost drowned (me stupid)

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach again after a doctor appointment, and what a day full... The weather was about perfect, overcast and just a little wind. Was working a line that led to deeper water, and found a really nice 14k white/yellow gold earring.. Funny, but it seems that after you find one gold item, the pressure isnt so much to find more..
Anyway, my line led me to deeper water, but I could see a couple teens playing in chest deep water not more than 50 yds away.. "Must be a sandbar" I thought, and without thinking too much, decided to work towards where they were. As I was trying to maneuver my way to where they were, they had worked their way back to the beach and now I wasnt sure just where they were standing. I headed toward where I thought they had been, and next thing I new, I had no bottom.. I was swimming as hard as I could, but couldnt find the shallower water. At this point, I was about 100 yds from the beach and figured I had better head that way. I was able to keep the scoop on the bottom, and had just enough handle to keep myself barely above the surface, but soon it was even too deep for that. "Dont panic" I told myself, and turned over on my back... But after about 30 ft or so, I just couldnt keep swimming holding my detector and scoop.. I dropped the scoop, and also let my detector go except for the headphones and continued to swim toward shore... It HAD to get shallow soon.. I was amazed that it remained over my head till I got within about 40 ft from shore.. I was exhausted and had taken in a couple mouthfuls of salt water, but I made it (barely) to the shore... How could I be so stupid??
Normally, if I am in an area I am not real familiar with, that could have tricky currents, I wear inflatable suspenders... I hadnt planned going even near deep water, so I left them at home.. Never again.
After resting for a good 30 minutes, I walked back to my truck and thank goodness, I had brought my snorkle and mask. I had a general idea of where I dropped the scoop, but wasnt real optomistic about finding it.. It would have served me right to lose it..
I stripped off my shirt and finds pouch, hat, gloves, and even my shoes, and headed out... Thank goodness for crystal clear water, I could see the scoop standing up in about 20 ft of water, and I was able to retrieve it.. LESSON LEARNED!

I continued to hunt that area and found a very nice bottom, I could tell the sand had moved... I soon began finding garbage, and several pocket spills.. Then I got a very strange signal, low, but also intermittently high, and after the first scoop, the signal became very broken... Since my Excal has been repaired, the tones are different, and things dont sound even close to what they did before.. After scoop number five, I almost said "to hell with it" since it was a broken tone.. I'm glad I didnt.. The sixth scoop came up, and there it was shining back at me!! Not a big gold band, but 3 really pretty diamonds on it!!! "WOW, two gold!"...
Into my pouch it went, and I continued hunting. I was in about thigh-deep water. Kept finding coins here, coins there, a sinker, then another, and then got a BIG signal that I though sounded like a bottle cap.. But it had this little "ring" to the tone, so I dug it.. 3 scoops later and I see this HONKIN ring in my scoop!! 10k class ring (a hefty 15.3 g)... "OMG, 3 gold in one day??"..
I kept hunting and found more clad, and someones "medic alert" bracelet for a severe peanut allergy.. I think it is their number on the back so I will try to call it today.. Clad total was $3.45 for the day..
Finally, was just too tired to continue, although the weather and hunting conditions made me wish I could go until dark.. Total of 6 hrs hunting, and I am sure feeling it today... A couple years ago, I could have done that for 12 hrs and been ready for more..

Stay safe all, I cam as close as I want to to drowning... And it was my own stupidity that made it happen, not the conditions..

Lot's of pic's, hope you all dont mind..

Attachments

• 08_25_10 finds 9.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 9.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 08_25_10 finds 10.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 10.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 635
  • 08_25_10 finds 8.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 8.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 635
  • 08_25_10 finds 7.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 7.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 635
  • 08_25_10 finds 6.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 626
  • 08_25_10 finds 5.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 5.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 638
  • 08_25_10 finds 4.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 630
  • 08_25_10 finds 3.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 624
  • 08_25_10 finds 1.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 630
  • 08_25_10 finds 2.jpg
    08_25_10 finds 2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 619

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible story! Thank goodness you came out of it ok and you were able to recover your equipment.

You didn't panic: smart move.

That may be the hardest won gold this year. Congrats. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smudge, and yeah, I was thrilled to get the scoop back! Not only so I could keep hunting, but that scoop is starting to grow on me..
Today my brain is thrilled about the finds, but my body is really not very happy with me... I usually only hunt for 4 hrs or so... Man I wish I could get well..

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you. Blew my back out last week and I'm still recovering, but its getting a lot better now. I'm just hoping I'll be well enough to go out, at least for awhile, this weekend.

The Sand Shark I got from Crackbadger should be here any day now.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Even with the recovery of those excellent rings, would not have been worth your loss. Glad you made it to shore!

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contacted the family of the Alert bracelet and the mother was ecstatic.. I guess her daughter had just gotten it a week before she lost it, and it cost them about $50... Mailed it out today..

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Nice finds, be careful out there. You might get you a CO2 inflatable vest if you will continue going out that far. HH

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
Silver Surfer said:
Contacted the family of the Alert bracelet and the mother was ecstatic.. I guess her daughter had just gotten it a week before she lost it, and it cost them about $50... Mailed it out today..

I put in a request for Honorable mention for the med tag, I didn't think it would happen that fast. I was hoping you would get one for the tag and one for the class ring assuming you can find it's owner.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfer, glad you made it. Nice rings and return. Niffler

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sturgell said:
I put in a request for Honorable mention for the med tag, I didn't think it would happen that fast. I was hoping you would get one for the tag and one for the class ring assuming you can find it's owner.
Just waiting for a call back on the ring... Probably tomorrow..

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you had a hell of a day.

I'm glad you were able to recover from your close call and retrieve some excellent targets.

Congrats :icon_thumleft:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your 3 gold ring day........
Congratulations on not getting paniky........
Congratulations on getting your equipment back....
Congratulations on your returned to owners items....
Glad to be able to read more of your posts.....
Take care Silver Surfer and be safe...........Gold Nuggets :hello:

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
We don't mind all the pictures! In fact we are very glad that you are still around to post them! What a scary story and a good one for all of us water hunters to heed! Never get too complacent and think nothing will happen. It can happen in the blink of the eye. I am so glad you told yourself not to panic. Staying calm is often the key to surviving. Congrats on your finds but congrats even more on being here to tell us your story! WTG!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a great story and Better finds !! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: Just make sure that you are wearing your safety equipment next time also it is great that you recovered your scoop!!!! In my book this deserves an Honorable mention!!! If it helps any one else!!!!! Chug and Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread