What's new

A first for me at the dirt pile.........

randall61

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
I hit the dirt pile in Atlanta & found this 1890 seated dime ,not good shape but ,you can bet I did'nt throw it away!! also this gob appears to be a coin,it will take alot of cleaning.
Hopefully i'll get back there tomorrow.

thanks for viewing
Randall
 

Attachments

  • 1890 dime.webp
    1890 dime.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 650
  • crusted coin.webp
    crusted coin.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0
I have never did ne good at dirt piles.... glad u did.... try either the peroxide method or olive oil method to help with the glob... congrats on old silver......
 
117 year old coin! I wouldn't throw it away either.
Very nice find.
-MM-
 
still looks great to me ! would love to find one just like it :o congrats ;)
 
I've looked a dirt piles but never given them a try. It makes sinse though, they had toscrape it from somewhere.
 
I found a cruddy coin like that this week. I heated it a bit and dropped it in ice water. The crud fell off easily. Don't heat it enough to damage or discolor the metal of the coin though (if you try this). It's just the sudden temp change (expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials) that makes it turn loose.

Want some help on that spot? HEHE!
 
cheese said:
I found a cruddy coin like that this week. I heated it a bit and dropped it in ice water. The crud fell off easily. Don't heat it enough to damage or discolor the metal of the coin though (if you try this). It's just the sudden temp change (expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials) that makes it turn loose.

Want some help on that spot? HEHE!

This is a great idea, and non-damaging to the coin. Excellent.

Buckleboy
 
Congrats on the Seated and good luck with the blob!

Please update this thread on what's inside!


Ridley
 
Congrats on the awesome coin Randall, sweet old lady!!

Smiles!
BDoo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom