408_Dirt_Fisher

May 14, 2013
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All-

Went to a school today that I have not hunted at before.

I don't think this place has been hunted before because it is a private charter school. So I took a chance and went with my kids to do a little dirt fishing.
When we got there, there were a couple of guys playing soccer, so we stuck to the sidelines of the field to not disturb them while playing.

About one hour into detecting, the guys were done with their game and left. So we decided to hit more of the field. We were detecting for a while and not finding anything much, a couple of clad quarters, dimes and pennies.

We all started to get a little tired and it was getting close to dinner time, so we decided to head towards the car, but we were going to swing to whole way there, which was about 3/4 the length of the field.

Almost to the car, I got a very erratic hit, from 55 to 65 to 45 to 70 on the AT Pro, so I was not really sure what I had. I was mostly reading in the 50 range though, so I was pretty sure that I had a nickel, and most likely a clad nickel. I have not been very lucky with finding old stuff, I just figured it was the areas that I have been detecting in, or more likely my luck.

Anyways, we dug the hole, found the target and pulled out what I thought was a nickel. But this nickel kind of looked weird. Looking at the back of it, I rubbed some of the dirt off and to my amazement I saw a large V on it! I had found my first V Nickel! I did not want to rub it anymore, so I wanted to get home to run it under some water. Well it looks like the V Nickel is really hammered, for some reason I think they use a lot of fertilizer around the places I detect and it just hammers the coins I find.

Here are some picture of the V Nickel, it ended up being a 1895!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should clean it, without messing it up anymore? I would like to pull out some more detail from it if possible.

Take care and HH!
Ben

S20160402_0003.jpg S20160402_0004.jpg

Upvote 12

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! Of the three V nickels I've found with my ATP, 2 were normal nickel signals (solid low 50s) but one was juumping around and bouncing from the 40s-70s, like yours.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like lots of detail left on that coin. Soak it in Aluminum Jelly to remove all the crud. It will take several soaks. Rub lightly with your fingers or a soft brush, and rinse with water between soaks. This will make the coin clean, but, turn it pink. To remove the pink, rub on some Nic-A-Date and then give it a quick rinse in water.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on your first v

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crew I found were almost smooth. You should get some nice details of that one thought. Nice find, they r out there. Most comes down to location.

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry phone really messed that post up. Should read it before hitting send. Haha The few I found r in Rough shape urs should clean up nice

OP
OP
408_Dirt_Fisher

408_Dirt_Fisher

May 14, 2013
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like lots of detail left on that coin. Soak it in Aluminum Jelly to remove all the crud. It will take several soaks. Rub lightly with your fingers or a soft brush, and rinse with water between soaks. This will make the coin clean, but, turn it pink. To remove the pink, rub on some Nic-A-Date and then give it a quick rinse in water.

Thanks Bayard, I will definitely try this and then post new pictures after I have gone through the process.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the V, I found one that had detail till I cleaned it, detail just flaked off and left little behind but yours looks solid.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apple Cider Vinegar soak for 15-24 hours! Congrats!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
408_Dirt_Fisher

408_Dirt_Fisher

May 14, 2013
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apple Cider Vinegar soak for 15-24 hours! Congrats!! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry, I will try that right now. I am going to go and drop it in a glass right now.

Thanks to everyone else for the congrats!

-Ben

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the V nickel. I have only found two, and yours is WAY better than either of mine. The ground eats them up around here.

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
408_Dirt_Fisher

408_Dirt_Fisher

May 14, 2013
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All-

Here is an update on the V Nickel. So I tried the Apple Cider vinegar bath for 24 hours, but it did not appear to work very well for this nickel. Next I tried, white vinegar and 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt and a small piece of tinfoil for about 2 hours on each side and that appeared to take off most of the gunk. It might have damaged the coin also, I am not sure, it just might be hammered from the soil conditions and age. But here are some updated photos. I am waiting to get some Nic-A-Date from Amazon and will apply this to hopefully darken it a bit to be able to see some more detail.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for darkening the coin a little bit, to bring out more detail?

Thanks,
Ben

S20160405_0001.jpg S20160405_0004.jpg S20160405_0005.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread