larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i was taking some pictures of a friends artifact collection and thought these were interesting
these were found in mandan sites along the missouri river many years ago
IMG_1355.jpgIMG_1356.jpg

Upvote 0
awesome artifacts, i found my self comeing back and looking at this picture over and over
its just mind blowing,that indian had metal weapons. and no huge arch. reports about it all/
the usa just don't care about what happen here.about the indians and who thay really was

Well if they didn't attack u they loved to trade. I've heard of copper points like These but seemed to be found more in Minnesota where Sioux lived before getting pushed into Dakotas. Pretty sweet.

Their are a couple of them that I would have thrown away. Not because they
Aren't nice, but because I would have thought it was an old cement trowel. Wouldn't that be my luck, to throw the find of my life away.lol

Steve, some of those pieces are Archaic copper from the Great Lakes area (could have been traded or found while visiting the pipestone quarries), one of them is a Moche piece from Peru, there is a sword there, probably Persian or Afghani, a couple of pieces look European bronze.

They all look authentic and are high dollar pieces, but your friend might have the history mixed up on them.

I like copper culture artifacts. It was a neat transition period to metal all on their own. I have some picture I took of some large gold beads they fashioned from some local Tn gold. I have always said you need to run a metal detector across your place it might add to your collection. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Steve, some of those pieces are Archaic copper from the Great Lakes area (could have been traded or found while visiting the pipestone quarries), one of them is a Moche piece from Peru, there is a sword there, probably Persian or Afghani, a couple of pieces look European bronze.

They all look authentic and are high dollar pieces, but your friend might have the history mixed up on them.

thanks joshua
i am just going by what the owners son told me
the collection came from a doctor who had an extremely huge collection before he passed away
i have a lot to learn and appreciate the info
outside of the mandans, i don't know to much......and don't claim so

I like copper culture artifacts. It was a neat transition period to metal all on their own. I have some picture I took of some large gold beads they fashioned from some local Tn gold. I have always said you need to run a metal detector across your place it might add to your collection. Thanks for sharing Steve.

thanks richard
we have taken MD's on this site and found copper points, copper bangles, some copper awls and blades
but so much time is spent finding nails and fence post staples that it kinda ruins the fun
even found the lost gas cap for one of the tractors one time

I read once that Native Americans had a method for refining copper that made it harder than any modern method.

Well a good machine you can discriminate out the iron and zero in on just copper. The eliminates all the tractor parts you were looking for. Haha you just need me so go over that field and fill your case for you.

Well a good machine you can discriminate out the iron and zero in on just copper. The eliminates all the tractor parts you were looking for. Haha you just need me so go over that field and fill your case for you.

OK richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back