Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to celebrate my new appointment at a half way house (term position) by going out for a dig. Not a dig for clad nor quota, but for an old one! What better place to try then the "Dingle Park" which in reality is named after Sir Stanford Flemming in honour of the Scot who gave us standard time, helped build the Canadian railroad and for what I liked the most..... designing Canada's 3 pence beaver in 1851 which was our country's first postage stamp. Very famous man, who like all of us common folk have a "dark" side. At the entrance to the park the stone mason's did him up right picking on his two vices.

If you look at the stone carvings to the left with some degree of objectivity you will notice that it looks like a bottle. Fleming was known for his fondness of ale...vice number one! Now as for the right side, think of a part of the male anatomy that controls the "brain." Yes indeed he was a world class skirt chaser.
Driving to the main part of the park and settling in Donna Marie (Marie's car) I could not help but notice the natural beauty of the park and the tower erected to honour the parks name sake. Fitting.

The dig began as I took the northwest trail down the shore of the Northwest Arm along which many a French prisoner of the early war took when out on a gentleman's pass. They sold crafts and handwork to get extra food rations. Melville Island was in those days a military prison which is now home to the Armdale Yacht Club.
The path is fit for a mountain goat especially since Hurricane Juan which felled many a tree. I was going to give the knee a real work out. Modern penny. Modern dime. Another penny and then a watch but no oldy. By this time the pursuit had taken me far from the maddening crowd utilizing the park. A nature call.....Lord love a duck! No bathroom tissue, no leaves but ...yes a forest floor full of pine needles........painful but did the job. Sure my derriere looked like a porcupine after that. Slithered down the slope and washed my hands off in the water....sure that was a halibut lot more toxic than anything that came out of this bouy. All evidence was buried as I had no doggie dew bag.
Back on the hunt...a good signal from my backup Pro. Darn a clasp. Started to meander through the woods. Slipped! A banshee let out some ungodly howls...and a few choice words thrown in for good measure. I was done with this and limped back to the car. Done with the Dingle but I wanted an oldy!
The Button Hole....almost gone and refilled.

Twenty minutes later I had my oldy......button.

Now home safe but sore. Now its time to pull my 5 remaining strands of hair out as I try and set my new digital watch........of course that is after I clean out the tub full of pine needles.......oh joy!

Upvote 3

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats nice finds.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bit of history on the Dingle, but Leslie.... way too much info there. I hope the scars heal up nicely:laughing7:.
ZDD

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your posts are briliant leslie love reading them ive been in the pine needle perdicument i now cary a pack with snacks paper towels n toilet paper plus a few other woods things

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been through that park a couple of times. once with the 250 and another with the pro. besides some junk rings and clad change around the kids equipment and picnic tables, I have pulled a couple silvers from the woods and a couple 1900s lg cents( id say about half way between the tower and and where you took your second photo from) the crappy part is to figure out whats good target and jumbled bits of foil and liquor caps from kids hiding in the woods havin a time ;)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a time you had there! Congrats on your button! Extra socks are handy for sooo many things! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions