GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1851 Goodyear buttons, spoons, and other artifacts from amongst the stones
It was right around freezing yesterday morning when I went out detecting. This site is in Ulster county New York at the site of an old farm. The farm is long gone with the only remains being extensive stonework throughout the area.
Some nice finds in the past at this location have kept be coming back, these finds included large cents, Indian Heads, buttons, and a gunpowder flask.
Yesterday I was struck with the “first find being the best find” syndrome, and this occurred at only a couple minutes into the hunt with a large cent being recovered a Matron Head date unreadable. I spent the next couple of hours rechecking spots I had last time I was there, but the difference was that the weeds and grass was a lot easier to get through since they are mostly very brittle now. This didn’t prove very productive, since I guess I did a fairly good job detecting the area last time. What I did do though was spend some more time detecting the stone walls in the area. This proved fruitful, and I found the neat bell, stainless I guess and a spoon, both deep inside the wall.
The last time at this site I was with another detectorist and we had discussed digging out the privy. Yesterday I felt like I needed a break from swinging and started removing the stones out of the privy. I was quickly rewarded with two 1851 IRC Co. Goodyear buttons in fantastic shape, what a really cool find! I am nowhere near the bottom of the privy so I am not sure how they ended up closer to the surface but I can’t wait to get back to dig out more.
From my research and what a “buttonologist” sent me the buttons date from between 1851 and 1872 and are worth about 15 a piece, not that I plan on parting with them for that amount

Attachments

• thegoods.JPG
    thegoods.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 70
  • goodyearfont.JPG
    goodyearfont.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 79
  • goodyearback.JPG
    goodyearback.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 3

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pulling up a chair, Gary…

DSC04367_zps944305df.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, but they all were former privy residents.

fb79e4e7-81f8-4b23-ab0a-9b66e4b4332e_zpsfaabab49.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread