A good day at the beach...

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Several countries make 'scallop' edge coins. You probably have a foreign coin like this. Can you read anything on it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAYYYY,a good day at the beach it was :),I'm up here in Broward.Dragon,do you do all of your hunting on the beach?I find it difficult to find good spots to hunt except for the beach.I know a couple of local parks around here,your not supposed to dig,but I know the groundskeeper so you know.BTW nice finds,see if you can get a pic. of that coin or try to give us a few more clues(ie-lettering or numbers)what did it register on your rig?What make rig you using?GOOD LUCK and H.H.

OP
OP
D

Dragon

I cleaned it with electrolosys and a baking soda solution. Came out nice. It is a scalloped edge coin the size of a quarter with a mans bust on one side and a sword on the other surrounded by what looks like Arabic lettering. D-up, I do most of my hunting on the baech, some parks. I try everywhere I can and replace all "divots". I also keep all trash so if they (County or city parks guys) harrass me I show them the metal trash and ask "Why am I paying you to clean this up and you're not?" but only after they harrass me. Then I ask, what if your kid came home needing stitches because of this? They then leave me alone or help dig, one or the other. I find many parks covered with mulch, especially under swings, that has what looks like aluminum sheets of thick metal ground up in it, deliberately. Usually 3/8 wide by 2 or 3 inches long, usually folded and jagged edges, about 3/32 thick...I don't hunt mulch because of it. Anyone else see this phenomenon in the local S. Fla parks?

The scalloped edge coin read like a quarter on my ol' Fisher 1266X. I always hunt with Disc 1 at 0 to 2, sometimes up to 4 on the beach as it still reads gold at 4, and Disc 2 at 5 1/2 to 7. I never seem to dig iron at these settings unless its fairly large, and I always dig (or beep on) gold, silver and all coins. This particular coin was a strong signal at 12 to 13 inches. I have a 12 inch Hot Head coil and use Lithium batteries. I regularly find good stuff at 12+ inches.

BTW, I am also looking for a schematic for the 1266X so that I can attempt to increase the transmit power of the unit. Receive sensitivity is great on this unit, but if I can replace the TX power transistor with one that might give even 10 to 20% more, or know the parameters of the existing one, I figure I can increase my depth by at least half that percentage. Field mods are legal of course, and maybe an increase in voltage to the collector may do the trick...Too bad the manufacturers are limited in effective radiated power by the FCC. Maybe it's time to petition them for a change since not much utilizes the 2 to 100 khz band except RDF (?) Any help in finding one or a copy is appreciated as I don't think much can beat the 1266 without spending an arm & a leg (maybe I should write Fisher?)...I don't think all the bells and whistles would help much either for a new unit, and I seem to fiind coins in wet beach and in water. Much of my fun & excitement is in digging and what lies ahead (or under) for me to see, not on some meter that is never absol;utely correct. ;)

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Have some relatives in Fl. my sister there informs me that since the hurricanes alot of old Spanish gold has been
found washed up in your area just wanted to say good luck. HH Bob

OP
OP
D

Dragon

Some coins have been found. The beaches are still hard to access up there. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread