tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from my round trip walk with the dogs out behind my house. I went to the old coal mine camp and followed along the old RR grade that serviced the abandoned mine site. In the field I came along what I first thought was a shell cartridge and then a porcelain tube insulator and now I think it's the stem of an old clay tobacco pipe?. It's oval and tapered in shape and has about a 1mm hole through the center and marks like file marks on the outer surface. I'll clean it up and maybe put it up on "what is is" later. Coming back around the air was full of the sounds of spring with the Meadow Larks, Geese and other birds singing. The Prairie Dogs were out enjoying the sunny morning and I could see two coyotes laying low and trying to think up the best game plan on getting them a couple of those little critters. I'm sure they'll succeed before this day is over.

Attachments

• DP 1.jpg
    DP 1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 79
  • DP 2.jpg
    DP 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • DP 3.jpg
    DP 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 85
  • DP 4.jpg
    DP 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • DP 5.jpg
    DP 5.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • DP 6.jpg
    DP 6.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • DP 7.jpg
    DP 7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Good to see the outdoors is still there, haha! We're on mandatory six nights a week til about the 1st of April, averaging over 60 hours a week, so not a lot of time left over for me to get out and wander around.

This area's been all designated open space, so no development will be here. It's all out behind were I live. How's the weather been up there?... You see that report of a wind gust that hit an official record blast of 148 mph up on Monarch pass. Been pretty breezie here over the last 4 days and I can hear it picking up outside now.

Last edited:
I have only found one portion of a pipe stem myself, but that certainly looks like one to me. Nice wildlife shots.

I'm very curious about it OD. Most of what I find around here are later 19th early 20th century relics, but this one has me stumped. It may be an early fur trade piece. Looking online I see you can date these maybe by the bore hole. I have in recent times found native American artifacts maybe 3 miles from the spot this one was found. I will be asking about the pipe stem maybe in "what is it"

Last edited:
Don't post in "what is it" Tamrock...

I will go ahead and tell you now... Its a pipe stem...

:P

Don't post in "what is it" Tamrock...

I will go ahead and tell you now... Its a pipe stem...

:P[/QUOTE AARC I am sure thinking it is a pipe stem as well and looks just like the kind they find in the excavation of Jamestown and in the river Thames in London. This area wasn't settled by whites well enough until after the mid 19th century. There were 2 trading post established around the 1830s to the NE along the Platte river and the other to the SE along the Akansas river. Both those traded with the Indians and fur trappers. This thing doesn't look like the stem of a later 19th century kaolin pipe. Those were bigger. I can only wonder ??

Well... IMO ...
And from "my angle here"... it sure looks like one from here.

Last edited:
Looks more like a clay stem than ceramic insulator to me.
At least from the insulators I've seen.
A larger hole in home wiring insulators from same views.
Regardless ,yes a great morning indeed. And pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back