OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that IS your Blog/Web-site... I heard/herd that it is a COLONY of Minks... try "herding" 'em, once! LOL!

Earlier today someone replied that they thought it would be called, "a company." :dontknow::laughing7:
But "colony" makes sense.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Future exploration.

Brother OV...I am confused. What has an eight year old thread about a Herd of Mink (with a deceased link in the op) got to do with future exploration of a cool looking cove?
moose.gif
WTF.gif

Bigscoop hasn't been on site for a month, but the answer is that other than breeding mink are solitary critters, so they don't have a designation like herds, gaggle's, congress's, clutches, packs or colonies.
1f43e.png

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brother OV...I am confused. What has an eight year old thread about a Herd of Mink (with a deceased link in the op) got to do with future exploration of a cool looking cove? View attachment 2080039 View attachment 2080022

Bigscoop hasn't been on site for a month, but the answer is that other than breeding mink are solitary critters, so they don't have a designation like herds, gaggle's, congress's, clutches, packs or colonies. View attachment 2080025
It was supposed to go in "random picture thread" whoops
Delete i will....:BangHead:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier today someone replied that they thought it would be called, "a company." :dontknow::laughing7:
But "colony" makes sense.

... but the answer is that other than breeding mink are solitary critters, so they don't have a designation like herds, gaggle's, congress's, clutches, packs or colonies. View attachment 2080025

We have them in the park behind our house, which has a river and lake network. Escapees from farming for furs which are now breeding in the wild.

It's correct that mink are highly territorial and largely solitary. Even when farmed, they need to be individually caged like battery hens. However, in addition to what happens during the breeding season itself, they stay together for a while in the wild as family groups that can contain up to about five youngsters. Not usually beyond about 10 months.

The collective name is a "company" or, less commonly, a "richness" (at least over here in the UK).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread