A hunting button, monogrammed seal and a gunpowder flask (?)

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
The site looked promising on the map. But when we first got there, we ended up marching to and fro for 2 hrs without any signals but a couple of aluminium cans on the surface. Several times we checked if the beeper was on. We swayed the coil over the cans and listened to that overload scream just to drive away the detecting fatigue. Finally we decided to call it a day and gave up this site as a bad job. However, on the way to the car we kept detecting and picked up a deep target that happened to be a bullet. We don’t even know if it’s an oldie but it gave us some hope. We turned around and started our march all over again. The bullet was like a secret trigger because this tiny place had suddenly become full of sweet signals. Most of them are ‘junque’. But during our last 2 visits there we dug out several keepers and a number of early 20 century coins: ½ penny of 1906, 1 penny of 1908, 1 penny of 1909, a threepence of 1910 and a sixpence of 1912. On the 3rd visit we had an iffy target and were not sure if it is not a detecting ‘reject’ blocked by our beeper. Among some corrosive and rusty stuff, an embossed hound head hunting button unexpectedly popped out. It’s not in the best shape due to the ‘yuck’ next to it. The shank is broken; the back with the mark half crumbled away. What is left is “T & Son”. Usually these types of buttons were manufactured by Hammond Turner & Sons and Firmin & Son. This one might be J.R.GAUNT & SON. Nearby we unearthed a monogrammed seal ‘I.B’. On the other end of the site we heard a loud signal and out came what resembles a squashed small silver powder flask with floral pattern. We already have 2 copper ones with hunting scene somewhere in our luggage.

Attachments

• coins001.jpg
    coins001.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 700
  • flasksealbutton001.jpg
    flasksealbutton001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 704
  • silverflask001.jpg
    silverflask001.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 695
  • Gunpowder flask.jpg
    Gunpowder flask.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

That flask is outstanding :hello2: I like those buttons quite a bit too :thumbsup: great hunt

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Great bunch of finds, especially the flask. :thumbsup: jgas

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS A GREAT FLASK!!I have only found brass ones.I like the sportsman button too! I never could get your e-mail to work :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunting button :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy with that hunt :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
I never could get your e-mail to work

Hi Kuger,

I really don't know. I've never had troubles with it before. Try without attached files and let me know.

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
I would be happy with that hunt

And I would be happy with any of yours :). It's difficult to stumble on something interesting in our wilderness. I am dreaming about ... Europe and England in particular.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tuatara said:
I would be happy with that hunt

And I would be happy with any of yours :). It's difficult to stumble on something interesting in our wilderness. I am dreaming about ... Europe and England in particular.

funny many UKers dream of your wilderness, I know its on the top of my Mums visit list & I like the idea of it :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
funny many UKers dream of your wilderness, I know its on the top of my Mums visit list & I like the idea of it

Have you ever tried hunting for nuggets?

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mate, That button and flask are nice finds HH

tinpan

Top Member Reactions