cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it looks like a hinged cover for a pouring spout with the eye for the hinge broken off. The protrusion is probably so you can use your thumb to keep it open.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's the idea.....I was just too lazy to go find a photo! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned the 'lid' up a bit to try to see the letters on it. Turned it right side up also so they can be read.

I see on the left side a (family) shield with at the top three French lilies. Under the middle lily is a vertical sword with a horizontal guard, it points upwards.

On the right side there seem to be two letters. I can only make out the last letter, it is a gothic O.

Then in the center of the 'lid' seems to be some sort of letter or number, but I cannot see what it is.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to read Gothic letters better than I can!

Attachments

• klep'_resize.jpg
    klep'_resize.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
When enlarged (as much as I can) the large figure seems to have a dragon? in the middle with a winding neck looking to the right. And a possible wing going up to the left.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When enlarged (as much as I can) the large figure seems to have a dragon? in the middle with a winding neck looking to the right. And a possible wing going up to the left.
Hi nhbenz. I always have troubles with this sort of work, especially the letters/figures on English Hammered coins!
Great that you see that, could be a clue.
If you want a better photo I will send it to you. Only too large to be sent via this site. Send me a PM with your email...

Thanks for your comment.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Well, I don't think a better photo would help me, as I don't know much about these things. I just try to report what I see in these instances. I did my best to show what I think I'm seeing: tnet.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks 17th C or older, my first thought is the lid to a metal oil lamp.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing that people can put a date period on something, with out even knowing what it is :icon_scratch: Woody is it lead or lead/alloy (pewter). I agree with nhbenze it does look like a dragon with wings out stretched....strange but interesting find.

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SS. Well I think its just lead, pewter would have been quite black when it came out of the ground. The markings made me wonder what else it could have been other than a lid. I have found many lids before, and seen many, but not with text or symbols on it. I though first it was silver. I cannot say for sure its not pewter, don't know how to measure or see that.

Thanks for your comment!

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a lid for a powder flask or powder horn.....nge could not be made of steel.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SS. Well I think its just lead, pewter would have been quite black when it came out of the ground. The markings made me wonder what else it could have been other than a lid. I have found many lids before, and seen many, but not with text or symbols on it. I though first it was silver. I cannot say for sure its not pewter, don't know how to measure or see that.

Thanks for your comment!
If it's Lead Woody, it should be quite pliable..

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's Lead Woody, it should be quite pliable..
SS
In my eyes it's not pliable or easy to bend. Just took a photo of it in my hand.
I am going to change my guess about the metal, and go for pewter. I have now compared the object to other pewter objects that I have, and it does match up with the color of most pewter. It is blacker than I though. And most lids for bekers were made out of tin also.

Attachments

• In hand.JPG
    In hand.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread