A little family treasure

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I got out for only the second hunt of the season. My buddy Watercolor had gotten permission to detect a house that was up for sale and being prepared for an estate sale by two sisters who had grown up there. Their mom had recently passed away and they had both flown in from other states for just a few days to prepare for and have the sale. My first target was this honking men's ring, sterling silver with 10k inserts. I was happy to have a family relic to give to the sisters, and that made the rest of the hunt fun. I also found two silver quarters and a silver Rosie.

Finds 2 small.jpg

With the ring rinsed off, I presented it to the sisters who were overjoyed to see it. It belonged to their late brother who passed away last year and it bore his initials. For me, it was if I was being used to find the ring and give it to them to let them know that he was with them in spirit and that he was thinking about them. I believe in that sort of thing. Doing what they are doing isn't easy. I know, I'm going through it myself with my mom's house.

Mark found a whopping nine silvers in that yard, as well as a sterling baby ring and a sterling religious pendant. He also gave both jewelry items to the sisters. Watching him hunt what was the best yard of silver he had ever found made it a fun day, and seeing that ring back into the hands of family was the icing on the cake!

Attachments

• Finds 2.jpg
    Finds 2.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 13

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the ring and jewellry returns! I'm sure you made the sisters really happy by bringing up good memories.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is real neat that you found the ring and that you gave it to them. Wished you had a picture of your friend's silver finds.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, that's one of the nicest rings I've seen you dig. . . I'm glad that we could both get out and hunt that property yesterday.

The look on those sister's faces was priceless when they realized it was their brother's ring. It really meant a lot to them when you returned it :thumbsup:

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, hats off to you for a great ring return, very well done.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you that you were meant to be there when you were . The important thing is you also followed through .....and did what you were meant to do. :icon_thumright:
God bless you sir, Brother Al.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story, it's nice to see people doing nice things for each other, and you guys were rewarded w/ silver! WTG!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds and return! Gold star for you ! WTG!
Awesome silver finds!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a wonderful post! May you both be blessed with good fortune on future hunts.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Job well done. You did the right thing giving the items back to the family.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread