A little gold, an old silver thimble, lots of clad and the scout camp gives up more goodies for a good week

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m finally back from my cruise and I got a chance to go do a little swingin. Over 20 days without a metal detector in my hands sent me into withdrawal LOL.

DAY ONE
I wanted to finish cleaning up at my favorite state park so I threw my waders in the truck (it was too cold for the wet suit) and headed out. I was shocked when I got there. The swimming areas were completely dry. Normally I find some jewelry and a few coins in this clean up, but most of it comes out of the water. Since the areas are dry more other folks have been detecting and cleaning up. (Not as many folks detect the water in this park)

It was a cold windy day and I was glad I didn’t have to go in the water. I spent 4 hours with the ATPro gridding part of the dry swimming area and trying my luck in some areas of the lake bed not used for swimming. Most of my coins were found in the non swimming part of the lake bed. I guess I was right about the other detectorists.

I used the ATPro hoping for the tiny goodies and altogether I found 36 coins with a face value of $3.69, a couple of whatzits, 2 earrings, 3 cheapie earring backs, an aluminum bag tie, a square sequin, a few tabs and of course aluminum foil.

1A55B2FC-68B8-4C52-94D3-800BFA270849.jpeg

I thought the one earring was silver, but when I got home I looked at it with my magnifying glass and low and behold it is actually 14k white gold. Woohoo.

88BFD0BC-089A-49C0-B7EB-7D43605CF13C.jpeg

I need to go back and do more of the area and hope for more luck, but winter is setting in. When I got home it was actually snowing. Hopefully we won’t get more than a dusting.

DAY TWO
I went to the pool park and spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21. I found 91 coins with a face value of $7.08 (several were bent up lawn mower strikes), a mine chit, a small charm or pendant, a modern metal figure, a cannabis leaf croc jibitz, a cheapie ring, some tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

824A4351-B058-4AF9-97CD-88849071B9CE.jpeg

This was a coal mining town so you find mine chits almost everywhere. This one is a number 24 and is a little crusty from its time in the ground.

2647FE2B-925D-4C58-9DF9-9909FD09D059.jpeg

DAY THREE
I went for my weekly trip to the scout camp and spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21. I finished one campsite, expanded the area of another one I had finished and worked around the camp outdoor chapel. I found 107 coins with a face value of $8.49, 25 camp tent pegs, 7 neckerchief slides, part of a fishing lure, 3 hat pin backs, a bunch of sinkers, a key, 2 modern bullets, a token, a Canadian penny, a Cub Scout summertime award pin, 2 Bear Scout pins, a bear paw leather stamp, some tabs, cans and melted aluminum from the fire pits. The camp has a lot of acreage that has been used for over 40 years. Almost anywhere I go in the woods I find something. The finds are not as plentiful as the campsites, but you never know what you might find.

2FC516CE-732F-433F-9482-B3E96A821D1D.jpeg

6EDE8291-5BAF-4CE9-A22A-66D63868624D.jpeg C71696F0-F21B-4960-9B90-C1EA125710D2.jpeg

DAY FOUR
I went to the civil war bullet school and picked one of the grids I have started and expanded it. It is always a tough decision as to which grid to expand with the hopes of finding something nice. Today I chose wisely because I did find a silver.

I spent 5.5 hours with the CZ21 and found 89 coins with a face value of $4.72, a football spike, a thimble, a button, part of a cheapie heart locket marked with a C, a 1958 wheatie, a large decorated safety pin, a key, cans, tabs, slaw and other bits of trash.

3C180387-9EEC-45D0-A24D-A0362E2C8A7A.jpeg

The thimble was the star of the hunt. It came out of the ground looking like a plated brass one, but on closer inspection I saw it was crud covered silver. It is marked sterling and is a size 11 with initials engraved on it (BL I believe). It needs a good cleaning, and it is slightly flattened, but it is silver.

DB0373CE-79E0-4B1F-992F-C34279EC95B4.jpeg

CFB25199-3A87-4088-ADCA-F3CACF9EDF3F.jpeg

I did find a button. It has an interesting floral pattern on it and a fancy edge. You can see a faint mark on the back where the shank was and the edges are starting to deteriorate. It is either an old pewter button or a modern base metal button and I’m not sure which it is. At this location it could be an older one, but I suspect it is modern. I don’t find much pewter so I have no idea which is correct. Anyone with experience with fancy pewter buttons feel free to chime in.

54B86863-456A-4F06-B34D-B3F630B7946B.jpeg

13F09E47-D778-4CC3-8517-EA08650BC210.jpeg

The whole time I was away, when ever we were on land touring I kept my eyes open for coins and such, but found absolutely nothing. When we got home and went to the grocery store I found 2 dimes in the parking lot when I got out of the car. Then I found a nickel as we went into the store. Later that evening as we were walking it was very windy and a dollar bill blew right up to me in the grass as I was walking by. Right place right time.

DD6A889A-6361-4323-9B78-906C9C1A5CCA.jpeg

So a decent week back in the good old USA. It felt good to be out hunting again and harvesting the crops left behind by others. Thanks for taking the time to view my post, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 18

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m finally back from my cruise and I got a chance to go do a little swingin. Over 20 days without a metal detector in my hands sent me into withdrawal LOL.

DAY ONE
I wanted to finish cleaning up at my favorite state park so I threw my waders in the truck (it was too cold for the wet suit) and headed out. I was shocked when I got there. The swimming areas were completely dry. Normally I find some jewelry and a few coins in this clean up, but most of it comes out of the water. Since the areas are dry more other folks have been detecting and cleaning up. (Not as many folks detect the water in this park)

It was a cold windy day and I was glad I didn’t have to go in the water. I spent 4 hours with the ATPro gridding part of the dry swimming area and trying my luck in some areas of the lake bed not used for swimming. Most of my coins were found in the non swimming part of the lake bed. I guess I was right about the other detectorists.

I used the ATPro hoping for the tiny goodies and altogether I found 36 coins with a face value of $3.69, a couple of whatzits, 2 earrings, 3 cheapie earring backs, an aluminum bag tie, a square sequin, a few tabs and of course aluminum foil.

View attachment 2052045

I thought the one earring was silver, but when I got home I looked at it with my magnifying glass and low and behold it is actually 14k white gold. Woohoo.

View attachment 2052046

I need to go back and do more of the area and hope for more luck, but winter is setting in. When I got home it was actually snowing. Hopefully we won’t get more than a dusting.

DAY TWO
I went to the pool park and spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21. I found 91 coins with a face value of $7.08 (several were bent up lawn mower strikes), a mine chit, a small charm or pendant, a modern metal figure, a cannabis leaf croc jibitz, a cheapie ring, some tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2052048

This was a coal mining town so you find mine chits almost everywhere. This one is a number 24 and is a little crusty from its time in the ground.

View attachment 2052049

DAY THREE
I went for my weekly trip to the scout camp and spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21. I finished one campsite, expanded the area of another one I had finished and worked around the camp outdoor chapel. I found 107 coins with a face value of $8.49, 25 camp tent pegs, 7 neckerchief slides, part of a fishing lure, 3 hat pin backs, a bunch of sinkers, a key, 2 modern bullets, a token, a Canadian penny, a Cub Scout summertime award pin, 2 Bear Scout pins, a bear paw leather stamp, some tabs, cans and melted aluminum from the fire pits. The camp has a lot of acreage that has been used for over 40 years. Almost anywhere I go in the woods I find something. The finds are not as plentiful as the campsites, but you never know what you might find.

View attachment 2052050

View attachment 2052051 View attachment 2052052

DAY FOUR
I went to the civil war bullet school and picked one of the grids I have started and expanded it. It is always a tough decision as to which grid to expand with the hopes of finding something nice. Today I chose wisely because I did find a silver.

I spent 5.5 hours with the CZ21 and found 89 coins with a face value of $4.72, a football spike, a thimble, a button, part of a cheapie heart locket marked with a C, a 1958 wheatie, a large decorated safety pin, a key, cans, tabs, slaw and other bits of trash.

View attachment 2052053

The thimble was the star of the hunt. It came out of the ground looking like a plated brass one, but on closer inspection I saw it was crud covered silver. It is marked sterling and is a size 11 with initials engraved on it (BL I believe). It needs a good cleaning, and it is slightly flattened, but it is silver.

View attachment 2052044

View attachment 2052056

I did find a button. It has an interesting floral pattern on it and a fancy edge. You can see a faint mark on the back where the shank was and the edges are starting to deteriorate. It is either an old pewter button or a modern base metal button and I’m not sure which it is. At this location it could be an older one, but I suspect it is modern. I don’t find much pewter so I have no idea which is correct. Anyone with experience with fancy pewter buttons feel free to chime in.

View attachment 2052054

View attachment 2052055

The whole time I was away, when ever we were on land touring I kept my eyes open for coins and such, but found absolutely nothing. When we got home and went to the grocery store I found 2 dimes in the parking lot when I got out of the car. Then I found a nickel as we went into the store. Later that evening as we were walking it was very windy and a dollar bill blew right up to me in the grass as I was walking by. Right place right time.

View attachment 2052047

So a decent week back in the good old USA. It felt good to be out hunting again and harvesting the crops left behind by others. Thanks for taking the time to view my post, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nicely done! I’m sure it made for days of fun hunting. I really love the thimble!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DAY ONE

View attachment 2052045

View attachment 2052046

DAY TWO

View attachment 2052048

View attachment 2052049

DAY THREE

View attachment 2052050

View attachment 2052051 View attachment 2052052

DAY FOUR

View attachment 2052053

View attachment 2052044

View attachment 2052056

View attachment 2052054

View attachment 2052055

View attachment 2052047

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks. The thimble is a nice one. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread