✅ SOLVED A LITTLE PIECE OF SILVER.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I posted the long story on the Metal Detecting page. But I was wanting to expand to a larger group and ask for the guys who have experience on the older stuff from Europe. I have added a couple photos of the piece my son found. It has some great markings. It weighed in at 2.5 grams. It was found in lower France where it was populated by a large roman movement as well as the Pyrenees Mountains of the Basque region. We did find some older pieces of copper and bronze which we have no clue as to their age because they are so worn.

The only other info I have is the area we found it at also has some type of military occupation prior to the castle being "refurbished" in the mid 1500's. The son thinks he found a close match to the Gaul era and Celts. I have no idea. Thanks for any info.--Mike

7wyattsceltfront.jpg

6wyattscelts.jpg

5wyattsoldA.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I know about ancient coins wouldn't even fill a thimble, but it looks like a Celtic sceat to me

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That's a rterrific ID!

Have another beer!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I found via a quick search, I'm currently on vacation in Spain, so it's nice to sit on the terrace with a beer and trying to find ancient coins.https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=116586

Thats so cool. My son had found the same site and has been driving me nutz looking at those....I am just glad he has a hobby that he enjoys as much as me. I must say though, we were in San Sebastian and it was "VERY" difficult to leave!! Food, wine and lots of beer and just a bunch of wonderful people!! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread