A MOONSHINERS HEAVEN Lost Cove,NC Ghost Town

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
A MOONSHINER'S HEAVEN Lost Cove,NC Ghost Town

History of Western North Carolina[/u] - Chapters 13-14 @ http://www.webroots.org/library/usahist/hownc009.html]
A MOONSHINER'S HEAVEN.
Forty years ago Lost Cove was almost inaccessible,except by trails; but last year (1912) a wagon road over three miles long was constructed to it over the ridges from Poplar Station on the C. C. &0. Railroad. Such a secluded place was a great temptation to moonshiners,and when to its inaccessibility was added the fact that it was in dispute between Tennessee and North Carolina, its fascinations became irresistible.
Accordingly John D. Tipton was accused of having begun
business by the light of the moon, as was evidenced by sundry indictmentsin the United States court at Asheville. His example was soon followed by others; but, whenever it appeared to Judge R. P. Dick. that the alledged stills were in the disputed territory, he directed the discharge of the defendants. However, a mighty changehas taken place in Lost Cove within the past few years, and not only is there no moonshining there now, evenwhen fair Luna is at the full,. but the good people will not suffer the
"critter" to be brought in from Tennessee. And better still, in 1910 they built a school house and a church, and voted a special school tax, the first school having been taught in 1911.
Lost Cove was a thriving Appalachian logging and farming community for about 100 years. The location and terrain of the community were difficult to navigate, and, when the railroad stopped making regular stops in the community, residents were forced to leave the community. The last resident left the community in 1957.

Today it is only accessible by following the railroad tracks in. There are several buildings standing,but evidently a party place for teens who have vandalized alot of them.
Photos at webite below of a hikers trip in....
http://travel.webshots.com/album/52997498qtZWbk

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
Re: A MOONSHINER'S HEAVEN Lost Cove,NC Ghost Town

I live near the place and have never been. I have a friend that has done some geocaching in the area. It is very, very rugged. Lots of rattlesnakes and bears spotted also. Lots of hiking involved. One of these days I am going to have to get in there.

goldman34

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2007
Re: A MOONSHINER'S HEAVEN Lost Cove,NC Ghost Town

is this the lost cove on mortimer in the avery county...caldwell...burke co area if so I live near there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread