A New Adventure

tllynn

Greenie
Apr 7, 2014
Wimauma, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired in 2014, I started panning in North Georgia 2 years ago, have about 50 days total panning time (no sluice in Georgia) and I find only small gold in so many creeks, total 2 grams and only 5 pickers.
I think I want to go out west for some prospecting adventure for a couple weeks. Where could I best utilize my equipment. I have small toyhauler camper, a side by side, generator, 12 x 36 inch dream mat sluice and the other basic stuff pans, classifiers, buckets, tubs etc. I am open to getting a small, maybe 2" dredge but not going all out until discovery warrants more investment. Are there locations where my side by side could access some more promising areas than prospector on foot or better left at home (central Florida) ? Or would a kayak be more beneficial, a kayak seems like a one way trip though- down stream only.

Upvote 1

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired in 2014, I started panning in North Georgia 2 years ago, have about 50 days total panning time (no sluice in Georgia) and I find only small gold in so many creeks, total 2 grams and only 5 pickers.
I think I want to go out west for some prospecting adventure for a couple weeks. Where could I best utilize my equipment. I have small toyhauler camper, a side by side, generator, 12 x 36 inch dream mat sluice and the other basic stuff pans, classifiers, buckets, tubs etc. I am open to getting a small, maybe 2" dredge but not going all out until discovery warrants more investment. Are there locations where my side by side could access some more promising areas than prospector on foot or better left at home (central Florida) ? Or would a kayak be more beneficial, a kayak seems like a one way trip though- down stream only.
You might wait until spring most of the west is getting pounded by rain in the foothills and heavy snow in the high country. We have snow one day and rain the next. Join one of the mining clubs good way to get started and meet like minded people. Good Luck

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree look into joining a club in an area you are interested in working or join the GPAA. Are you not allowed to sluice in Georgia? That seems strange I live in California and of all the crap we aren’t supposed to do sluicing is fine for the most parts.

OP
OP
T

tllynn

Greenie
Apr 7, 2014
Wimauma, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can sluice and dredge on private land with owners permission other wise only pan and shovel

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
About 15 years ago I was at the Alabama Gold Camp and dredged /sluiced there and was given the grand tour from the past manager and his son ! GREAT PLACE & PEOPLE ! it has built up a lot in receant years !! If you'r looking for a place to go , check it out !!

OP
OP
T

tllynn

Greenie
Apr 7, 2014
Wimauma, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read about the alabama gold camp, maybe one day I'll get over there. its about two hours from my usual panning area in georgia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread