What's new

A Holes or Jerks take your pick.

Mine Shaft

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2017
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
1,976
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well went to my claim today to do a little Sluicing. I usually take the same path to the river and noticed a couple deep test holes I usually don't give it a thought because most holes are just a little shovel full but these holes were deep about 1 1/2' deep and wide so I continued to the River where I have pulled most of my Gold out and first thing I see are 2 very large holes that looked like a Badger dug out lol then a 3rd place where they dislodged a large Boulder and dug a deep hole, but looked more like a small tunnel, at that point I'am cussing up and down. My Claim is posted where people can clearly see my sign and my monument marker stands out like a sore thumb and these A$$ holes walked right past it on there way to where they dug. Anyway I guess I will set my trail cam up and see who shows up lol. First pic is where someone was digging Jerks. I will post some pics after I pan my con's.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260407_155142316.webp
    PXL_20260407_155142316.webp
    4.3 MB · Views: 328
  • PXL_20260407_163639447.webp
    PXL_20260407_163639447.webp
    4.1 MB · Views: 232
  • PXL_20260407_163611165.MP.webp
    PXL_20260407_163611165.MP.webp
    3.9 MB · Views: 237
  • PXL_20260407_173849011.webp
    PXL_20260407_173849011.webp
    3 MB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Don’t you want to someday catch them in the act?! One time I was leaving the bowling alley. In the pitch black night, I heard the unmistakeable sound of the door of my 1958 Apache close. Oh boy FINALLY!! I was ready for action. I yelled out in my meanest voice “HEY! What the hll do you think your doing” as I ran towards my truck ready to do battle with someone.

I turned the corner and saw a very scared and apologetic teenager standing by my truck apologizing frantically. “The head lights were on! I only wanted to turn them off so you didn’t get a dead battery?”

Oh boy, as quick as I had spun up, I was apologizing and thanking him for being a stand up guy. Something I used to do before the times had changed.
Ah yes, catching someone in the act. I was home and heard a noise by my back door. I looked out an adjacent window and could see a guy trying to jimmy my back door open. WTF? I didn't see any weapon, so, I snatched that door wide open and grabbed the most surprised guy you ever saw. My knuckles never hurt so good! Turns out he was a bit younger than me, had shoes on where I was barefoot, so, he managed to get away without a stash of stuff in my yard that he had taken from my neighbors. I called the cops and they took the stolen stuff to return to them. I heard later the guy got caught and went to jail. Some people never learn even if they get beat up.
 
Just make sure of the intent before splashing their photos in the internet. It is public land. Could be some claim jumper with no care. Also could be someone hiking through and beyond your claim to detect unclaimed ground or relic hunt. Lots of old sites along the creeks and rivers that people are interested in.

Of course there is the age old arguemeng that nobody should have a detector on your claim. Photo is proof of guilt, but it depends. I often launch off wherever and cross the creek on a miles long hike with zero regard for some mining claim I crossed.

The modern trail cams and internet circles can be brutal.
Big difference in trespassing by crossing and digging on someone's claim. Digging isn't an accidental or innocent incursion.
 
Big difference in trespassing by crossing and digging on someone's claim. Digging isn't an accidental or innocent incursion.
Exactly - I’d put up a camera where they were digging and by the road where they parked so I could connect the dots and know for sure.
 
If you catch them here in AZ, you just call the Sheriff's and they come out, take their equipment and make sure that they leave.
 
Hi @Tesorodeoro This marker is 30ft from where the 3 large holes were dug. These ppl were not relic hunting + they were 12ft up the bank from the River. When I walk the trail to my spot I do see boot prints that are not mine but there is a group campground close by, also I am sure they park where I park which is posted no parking and the Park Rangers have my name and licence plate # and I explained to him that should be the only vehicle parked there, and its posted on the USFS message board the no prospecting sign.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20230428_161956252.webp
    PXL_20230428_161956252.webp
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
If you catch them here in AZ, you just call the Sheriff's and they come out, take their equipment and make sure that they leave.
That's what they do in SoCal lol Call the Sheriff and they are there.
 
Hi @Tesorodeoro This marker is 30ft from where the 3 large holes were dug. These ppl were not relic hunting + they were 12ft up the bank from the River. When I walk the trail to my spot I do see boot prints that are not mine but there is a group campground close by, also I am sure they park where I park which is posted no parking and the Park Rangers have my name and licence plate # and I explained to him that should be the only vehicle parked there, and its posted on the USFS message board the no prospecting sign.
Totally understand. I was just suggesting that you connect the dots with whoever you get on camera in the future. It’s your deal, so no skin off my back. Obviously do what you have to do.
 
Around here in Northern California. The sheriff will not get involved in mining claim disputes. Unless of course someone knows someone in LE that likes to mine on the “claim”.

It’s too complicated to determine who has a valid claim in order to take equipment. Difficult to trespass someone from public land. The most effective deterrent I’ve seen is violent threats. Not that I’ve done that, but I’ve heard of disputes that were “resolved” that way. Especially when it concerns overlaps.
 
Last edited:
Well went to my claim today to do a little Sluicing. I usually take the same path to the river and noticed a couple deep test holes I usually don't give it a thought because most holes are just a little shovel full but these holes were deep about 1 1/2' deep and wide so I continued to the River where I have pulled most of my Gold out and first thing I see are 2 very large holes that looked like a Badger dug out lol then a 3rd place where they dislodged a large Boulder and dug a deep hole, but looked more like a small tunnel, at that point I'am cussing up and down. My Claim is posted where people can clearly see my sign and my monument marker stands out like a sore thumb and these A$$ holes walked right past it on there way to where they dug. Anyway I guess I will set my trail cam up and see who shows up lol. First pic is where someone was digging Jerks. I will post some pics after I pan my con's.
Better yet. A get a couple of treble hooks tied to cans and put them at knee length. would probably scare the crap out of them.
 
Use small trebles. 😂

Saw them do it on the Ginseng show that used to be on discovery.
Ya that’s not real life buddy, just bad acting.

Otherwise you could bury an old board in leaves with rusty old nails sticking up.

The mind could wander to many methods, none legal. I like not looking over my shoulder.
 
If I do catch someone I will politely ask them to leave and don't come back and make sure they get a good view of my little friend lol.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260417_011734395.webp
    PXL_20260417_011734395.webp
    853.3 KB · Views: 67
I tend to agree with you BUT be careful about flourishing a weapon and NEVER touch it while "explaining" your statement !
Oh I know I would never touch it while talking to anybody.
 
I have a current Ca, hunting license and if asked what I am doing carrying a side arm i simply say hunting Coyote.
 
Oh I know I would never touch it while talking to anybody.
If you do want to have your hand on it without the person you’re talking to knowing.. buy a holster opposite of your strong arm. If your right handed buy a left handed holster. Then you can wear it behind your back (where it will not interfere with digging tools). You can stand there with you hands on your hips talking while the grip is comfortably in your hand. Then all you have to do is turn around and walk off while they are still standing towards you..
 
Last edited:
I disagree that detecting on a claim is automatically bad. Where I live large sections are under claim but will probably never be mined. There are other things of interest to someone with a metal detector. Old former mine sites can be a good place to find coins. Miners drank a lot and dropped stuff. My own property where my house is has a mineral rights claim on it. Most of the property around me is also claimed. Should I not be allowed to detect on my or a friends land because there is a claim on it? My detector is an AT pro. Good luck finding gold with that. The gold where I live is so tiny it won't pick it up.
Edit: I recently upgraded to a manticore. I don't know if it will find raw gold because I have not used it yet.
 
I disagree that detecting on a claim is automatically bad. Where I live large sections are under claim but will probably never be mined. There are other things of interest to someone with a metal detector. Old former mine sites can be a good place to find coins. Miners drank a lot and dropped stuff. My own property where my house is has a mineral rights claim on it. Most of the property around me is also claimed. Should I not be allowed to detect on my or a friends land because there is a claim on it? My detector is an AT pro. Good luck finding gold with that. The gold where I live is so tiny it won't pick it up.
Edit: I recently upgraded to a manticore. I don't know if it will find raw gold because I have not used it yet.
This is what the sign says I have posted on the USFS board. ? say your metal detecting for relics and you get a good hit dig it up and in your hand is a 4-5-6 Gram nugget what are you going to do put it back ? be honest with your answer lol. One more edit as far as tiny goes my claim has more then tiny Gold on it lol.
 

Attachments

  • NoProspectingSignHighPlainsProspectors.webp
    NoProspectingSignHighPlainsProspectors.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190423_135132394_HDR.webp
    IMG_20190423_135132394_HDR.webp
    393.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
This is what the sign says I have posted on the USFS board. ? say your metal detecting for relics and you get a good hit dig it up and in your hand is a 4-5-6 Gram nugget what are you going to do put it back ? be honest with your answer lol. One more edit as far as tiny goes my claim has more then tiny Gold on it lol.
If I saw a sign like that where it's obviously being mined I would go somewhere else. If I found the hypothetical nugget at a place out in the woods where there is obviously no sign of mining I actually would leave it. I still have some ethics. I'm not saying I wouldn't be tempted to keep it' I would also mark the spot on my GPS and keep an eye on the claim until it expires and claim it. Then I would go back and scour that area. It's a bit of an odd area where I live. Gold about the size of a pin head is all I have seen. I have also read reports of an area close by where there was gold in every pan but it was not economically viable. That is likely no longer the case with improved technology. It will never be mined though because of where it is.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom