A new find...sort of?

Vigilant

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2005
Bel Air, Maryland
Talk about frustration! Twenty years ago, I found an old safe in the attic of an old house in NYC. No owner, no combination, just a beautiful antique safe, a "Meilink Special". This thing has been sitting in my living room, mocking me for twenty years. Is there anything in there? Probably not, but...who knows. Anyway, having recently purchased an Ace 250, I start to wonder, hmmm. I set the MD to "coins" mode, moved in on my target... Nearly blew the phones off my head!!! Everything lit up the upper range on the screen! Now, my wife is finally intrigued enough to allow me to pay a professional to manipulate it open. He informs me it will take less than an hour, no problem. Right! Two hours plus, and he is still scratching his head. He promises to regroup, consult with others in the field, and return for another try. We also discussed "drilling", which I am reluctant to do. Meanwhile, the mocking continues...

Any advice would be appreciated, and I will certainly report on the contents found , if any. Anybody know if Geraldo Rivera is interested?

Ever,
Vigilant

Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
It probably is just saying coin because of the size and metal of the safe, but there could be paper money or soemthing in it, i mean who would lock an empty safe?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA!!!

You know... once you tell us a story like that.... we gotta know whats in there!

:D

memphis

Dec 17, 2005
Memphis
last old safe we had.... ?we found old bibles, family documents, all stuff relating to Stephen C. Toof and his wife, Grace - We also found an oil painting and many other goodies... ? Grace Toof is the namesave for Graceland in Memphis - later owned by Elvis

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
What do you mean by no combination? ?that it has one, but you don't know what it is, or it isn't a combination lock?

Is this your safe?

F487BMeilink.jpg

http://www.bargainjohn.com/f487bSafe.htm

If so, the safe alone would be worth like $1000! ?or at least that's what these people are trying to sell theirs for. ?If you can find out what the weight of an identicle safe is, you can tell what (if anything) is in there, or at least how much it weighs. ?Don't get your hopes up too high though, but you never know! ?It would be empty, it could have gold bars, it could have 20 year old cigarette butts. ?:)

S

sendagain

You are a better man than me...I would have already blown it.Good luck with contents and be sure to let us all in on the secret.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of an incident ....like most things do! Burglars spent the entire night inside a local church trying to open a huge walk in vault. They beat it with sledge hammers, pried it with heavy nail bars, tried to pound off the dial, had cement and metal chips knee deep in the floor, even left a little blood behind, and finally gave up. Left their tools and everything behind. The safe was unlocked! All they had to do was turn the handle beside the dial! Total contents? Three hymnals! Monty

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Jeez, I would have had it opened the day I got it! You sure are patient! Hopefully you find all sorts of goodies inside. Take lots of pictures!!!

OP
OP
V

Vigilant

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2005
Bel Air, Maryland
The photo shows the exact model I have. Mine is in better shape, as far as the paint goes. I called Fire King, who bought out Meilink years ago. They told me not to damage it (i.e. drilling or blowing it), as it was probably worth much more than the contents. My safe guy thinks he can drill it from the bottom, so the work wouldn't be evident. His "book" says there are only two wheels involved, so only two numbers need to be discovered. The third and final # is always 49. As there are only 2500 possibilities (50X50), and he has instructed me in basic manipulation, I am at least trying to knock off 100 combos per day myself. Hopefully the inner workings aren't gummed up to prevent me from discovering it.

I'll keep you all informed of the progress, and will certainly let you share in the final celebrations. Geraldo hasn't called me yet though!

As ever,
Vigilant

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since you waited 20 years, the idea of trying all the combos couldn't hurt, 2500 attempts can't take that long and you would preserve it and have the combo, heck, you could even use it, LOL! Please keep us informed and good luck! HH, Mike

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Man, I would have HAD to open that thing years ago!
Keep trying those combinations, and LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET IT!
Hugger

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
awesome safe, i agree with others, there is nothing that would keep me outta that thing!!!! I would even have messed up the big $$ safe just to see what is inside. Guess that is how I approach MDing!! The locations are the safes!!

HH

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Well if the combo is working, guess we will be seeing your post of the insides sometime in January. 100 combos a day, only a total of 2500.... Good luck...Won't know whats on the inside, till that door opens up. Think positive.

Ken

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
I'm inclined to think that the intact safe is worth more than the contents, so I would not drill it, I would not cut it, I would not blow it.

Time is on your side. Be patient, try all possible combinations, and keep the whole wad (safe and undamaged contents).

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I guess I'm one of the pessimists. The odds are that the safe in perfect condition is worth more than the contents. But you never know for sure. But after waiting 20 years whats another few weeks.
I do love a good mystery. :) Good luck!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Slow's right...don't beat it up to find there's nothin' but dust in it.Keep us posted.HH and Happy New Year!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions