A new find...sort of?

Vigilant

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2005
Bel Air, Maryland
Talk about frustration! Twenty years ago, I found an old safe in the attic of an old house in NYC. No owner, no combination, just a beautiful antique safe, a "Meilink Special". This thing has been sitting in my living room, mocking me for twenty years. Is there anything in there? Probably not, but...who knows. Anyway, having recently purchased an Ace 250, I start to wonder, hmmm. I set the MD to "coins" mode, moved in on my target... Nearly blew the phones off my head!!! Everything lit up the upper range on the screen! Now, my wife is finally intrigued enough to allow me to pay a professional to manipulate it open. He informs me it will take less than an hour, no problem. Right! Two hours plus, and he is still scratching his head. He promises to regroup, consult with others in the field, and return for another try. We also discussed "drilling", which I am reluctant to do. Meanwhile, the mocking continues...

Any advice would be appreciated, and I will certainly report on the contents found , if any. Anybody know if Geraldo Rivera is interested?

Ever,
Vigilant

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Slow's right...don't beat it up to find there's nothin' but dust in it.Keep us posted.HH and Happy New Year!!

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm sure you could cut off a few days of trials by eliminating certain groups of numbers. Like the first two numbers being identical, could be but not likely. Also eliminate the ones like 1,2,49, whats the odds. Most combinations I've seen the numbers are at least in the teens, twenty's or thirty's. I am by no means an expert just seems like common sense. Worst case is you try those last.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Baddog

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only way to open that safe is to wear a small cap and have a small mask on like the olden day crooks..... keep us posted
Peter Gill
South Africa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread