beart 002.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,162

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
by the looks of it and the relative flat surface, I'd lean towards a grass eater

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Sniffer said:
by the looks of it and the relative flat surface, I'd lean towards a grass eater
Good obsersvation, 'Sniffer' . . . it's a senile grazer, too. I believe it is an equus horse tooth from an ooold individual with worn-out teeth.

horseteethwear.jpg

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to say tapir or manettee,thu I'm no expert I think horse teeth don't have a crown like the one on your tooth. I have similar teeth and they are forsure not horse. Nice piece!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Martingeetars said:
I'm going to say tapir or manettee,thu I'm no expert I think horse teeth don't have a crown like the one on your tooth. I have similar teeth and they are forsure not horse. Nice piece!
Manatee teeth don't dish out quite like that, and they are too small to consider.

I did think about tapir, but it appears to me that the crown length is too long and the roots too robust to be tapir.

I have a section of jaw with senile horse teeth, but I couldn't lay my hand on it with a brief search (it's not in my drawer). I did find a tapir jaw with some senile teeth. Maybe 'sniffer' will compare these measurements with his own tooth crown length and let us know what he finds.

tapirsenileteeth.JPG

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking not horse - it just isn't quite right. Maybe of the bovine variety? I have some pig teeth outside, I want to look at them, too.

B

Attachments

• horse tooth.jpg
    horse tooth.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,586
  • bovine tooth.jpg
    bovine tooth.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,066

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Whoa! Too many guesses! Something is amiss.

Let's go back to basics (which we skipped to start). What are the dimensions of the tooth?

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a worn bear tooth, just as IRS surmised.

bear black jaw.jpg

Attachments

• bear black jaw.jpg
    bear black jaw.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,102

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D

It's not too many guesses - it is merely a comparison of different types of veggie eaters.

B

Attachments

• black bear molar.jpg
    black bear molar.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,830

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
mrs.oroblanco said:
;D

It's not too many guesses - it is merely a comparison of different types of veggie eaters.

B
What I meant to say is that there are still too many possibilities as measured by the number of guesses. We need more information about the tooth from FSR.

Bear would explain the crenulations, the little squigglies at the end of the crown and perhaps elsewhere in the crown. Here's a pair of bear cheek teeth for comparison, one unworn, the other worn (but not as much as the tooth for ID).

bearmolarsocclusal.JPG

Attachments

• bearmolarsocclusal.JPG
    bearmolarsocclusal.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 994
OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Ok. The crown length of the tooth shown in the photo is 7/8 of an inch. The width is 5/8 inch. From top of the crown to end of longest root is 1.75 inches.

Harry Pristis said:
How about it, IRS . . . what are the dimensions of this tooth. Did you decide what it was?

I found the senile horse example for comparison. Here it is:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
IndianRiverSonrise said:
Ok. The crown length of the tooth shown in the photo is 7/8 of an inch. The width is 5/8 inch. From top of the crown to end of longest root is 1.75 inches.

Okaay! The dimensions of your tooth match m1 and m2 of my senile horse jaw. I'm convinced that your tooth is from a Pleistocene horse (Equus sp.). I've always considered this senile jaw to be from a mare because its overall dimensions are just slightly smaller than other Equus jaws in my collection. I'd guess that your tooth is also from a mare. It was serendipitous that I had a jaw to match your tooth.

Show us some more beach finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions