What's new

A new guy needs some search advice.

harebearva

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
S.W. Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I just got my first detector, Garrett ace 250. I got it yesterday and today I contacted the city zoning in my area and secured permission to hunt on a golf course that has been closed for a couple of years. I suspect a good place to begin would be around the club house and tee areas, but does anyone have any advice or strategy for such a large area to hunt? I am COMPLETELY new to this so any suggestions will be part of my learning process. Thanks for any replies, I'm really chomping at the bit to get out there.

Thanks,
Hare
 
Search it in a grid pattern so as not to miss anything. I also like to go over areas again at a different angle. Just get out here and hit it hard :thumbsup:
 
Hare:
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Suggestions:
First learn your machine; read the directions, bench test and field test ('salt' a sprinkler-free lawn area with coins of different values), note the value/tone on the machine for each type of coin. You might also consider joining a TH club in your area (fun, cheap, and free information).

(1)The tee areas are a good place to start but only the three sides of the perimeter where sitting benches would have been placed. (2) The walkways to the on-course bathrooms. (3)The area around where a 'half-way' house may have been located; where refreshments would have been sold after the 9th hole. (4)The perimeter of the parking lot. (5)Forget the fairways, rough, and traps. (6) I'd leave the clubhouse footprint till last-if at all--unless food was served from a 'drive-by' location for players 'maknig the turn' after the 9th hole.
HH,
Don.....
 
Odd you mentioned a golf course, just spoke of these in the book I'm putting together.
The tee stations are a great place to start, especially that area between the cart path and the tee station. The removing of gold gloves can cause rings to come off with them. Hands are also going in and out of pockets in search of tees. All the cart parking areas near the greens are also worth checking out for the same reasons. Don't forget the women's tees. The area around practice greens and practice traps can also be good. The tee areas at the course driving range, etc.
 
The one place you should never bother to waste too much time searching are the fairways :thumbsup:

Remember, the majority of golfers are hackers and will rarely be in the fairway.. There is an old saying; when I hit a ball from left to right, it's a fade. When I hit a ball from right to left it's a draw

If I hit it down the middle on the fairway, it's a miracle :laughing9:

Always look in the woods on either side of the fairway, that's where all the action happens.. I'd also suggest carrying some type of bag for all the lost balls you will find too :p
 
The one place you should never bother to waste too much time searching are the fairways :thumbsup:

Remember, the majority of golfers are hackers and will rarely be in the fairway.. There is an old saying; when I hit a ball from left to right, it's a fade. When I hit a ball from right to left it's a draw

If I hit it down the middle on the fairway, it's a miracle :laughing9:

Always look in the woods on either side of the fairway, that's where all the action happens.. I'd also suggest carrying some type of bag for all the lost balls you will find too :p

Didn't even think about finding balls, good idea. I know I spend alot of time in the woods when I play.

You've heard "when it rains it pours"... On my way in to work this morning I noticed that a mobile home park about a mile from work has vacated half it's lots due to a property line issue so there's nothing but cement pads in a football field size area. I've got a call into the owners for permission to hit that! I've only had my detector a day and I find myself driving home looking for sites. Anyone else find themselves thinking along these lines? I can see this hobby quickly becoming an obsession, LOL.
 
You get snow where this golf course is at? Try the top third and very bottom of any hills worthy of "sledding" down. TTC
 
I can tell you that I have found some nice silver at old golf courses
and found a huge mans wedding band when I was a kid at an old golf course
good luck
 
WOW, an abandoned golf course....That's an excellent place to hunt. Lots of gold and silver around the tee boxes. Wish I could join you.......good luck
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom