A new hunter, an old site

L

Leese

Good morning all,
I am in Northern Va outside of Warrenton. We bought a new farm last year and one of the boundaries is a "creek". They call it a run, but it always has water. Anyway, on both sides of it are the remains of a stone wall. We were told it is cival war era. Would this be a good place to hunt? I read here that water is a pretty promising indicator, and of course if troops put the wall up it would be great.
Let me know what you all think. It is a wooded area and its mine so I have plenty of time to research.
Thanks all and I'm excited to find this site.
Lisa

Upvote 0
Sounds like an EXCELLENT place Leese. I'd hit that whole area. Good Luck & keep us posted ; jeff

Your right TOM, may have been a Battle With Opposing troops on each side of the Creek

Ooh that would be so cool. I have wanted to get to the record archive, but I keep hearing that Fauquier kept horrible records. Worth a try and I would love to get info on your resources.
Thanks!

I'm from Orange county, and i know that the area between orange and D.C. was heavily patrolled by both the north and the south. Warrenton would have been marched through during the battles for Cedar mountain, Brandy Station the Wilderness campaigns and also federal troops most likely camped in warrenton during the winter 0f 1863-1864 due to the fact that the confederate army wintered in orange Virginia and defended the rapidan river. I go to a school in madison virginia though that supposedly has two or three camps on it... so far they have eluded me, but i'm hoping for some goodies.. I would definately detect along the stone walls, but also any any field near by...if it was an area for a camp, etc, the troops most likely would have set up in a field near the water. not right at it.

Wow sounds like a great site to be hunting .
Check and see if your library has a county history book they are great to go through for all that info also.
It might have been a picket or a battle site if it was a battle there should be mine balls around the creek bed wash or look for holes in the ground that should not be there . If there was any canon fire you should find them.

Happy hunting Red

dude.........Warrenton changed has I think 2nd only to Centreville and that was 73 times or there abouts during the war.Warrenton was a big time cross roads.I hunted there alot when I was in VA.In-fact I found my first two plates in my first ever hunt in Warrenton.
I was fortunate enough to hit a spot where to soil was good,and we only hit the edge of a camp and that was in the front yard of a home on the south side of old Warrenton,you know the hill where all the older homes are?
When you come in from town from Centreville and turn right to go into town,there's a used dealership on the right(where I bought my Tahoe) anyhow just past that turn left going up the hill,they just built a new sub division up there.EVERYWHERE in this area is a camp.on the right and left.Keeping going straight and the road turns to the left and then back to the right around a division and up to a new one.There was a huge area up there cleared two years ago and along the hi-way.I remember two huge trees here andyhow we dug lots of colonial and miniballs up there,the soil was real bad and you could find a relic on top of the ground and the detector would pick it up as junk,so take your time and dig everything.My first plate sounded like iron only because it was buried amongst about 1000 cut nails.All in all we found three plates that day.Man I wish I was in Va right now.
Another spot I found just before moving near Warrenton was as you leave town going to Centreville,there is a car dealership out of town at a lite on the right,and to the left is a housing division and where the radio station is....turn right past the dealership and some odd miles up and down this road you'll find a huge clearing on the right.I backed up to the tree line before this and turned right down a long dirt driveway to a house way back in there and got perimission.We found some odd and ends of civil war junk stuff a nd a couple of miniballs.I never made it back and only hunted it once.Get permission anywhere around warrenton and do the owners good,it will open more doors.........oh! one last thing the guy who sold me my truck has property that had a skirmish on it and he knows all the details.I was invited to hunt his spot and never made it,I had to many things going at the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back