A new site... opinions?

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Here are a few finds from a northeastern PA riverbank site. I found a handful of scrap brass/copper, a fired musket ball, a brass ring (?), and most surprising of all what looks to me like a trade point (about 1 3/4" long). The riverbank was right on or very near the site of a small Indian village (possibly Delaware) documented in 1750, and the junction of various Indian trails. Do you guys/gals think this might be a trade point?... or have any other opinions? Thanks for reading and happy hunting :)

Attachments

• Finds 9-22-11 1 sm.JPG
    Finds 9-22-11 1 sm.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Finds 9-22-11 2 cut.JPG
    Finds 9-22-11 2 cut.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure looks like a point. See the reference picture below of other brass points. An excellent reference book for this kind of stuff is "Indian Trade Relics" by Lar Hothem. Your brass scrap may be from some old kettles. Looks like you have found a good site to keep you busy for awhile. Nice find.

-Swartzie

Attachments

• brass points.jpg
    brass points.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 294
OP
OP
MarkDz

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Thanks for the reply and the pics, Swartzie :). Are those yours? Very nice. I got out there again today but had no luck... I'll try again of course.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No those aren't mine. Wish they were. They are pics from the book I mentioned earlier. If it was me, I'd work that site for the rest of the season and then some. You'll find more stuff if you keep at it. Run your machine wide open and dig every signal. The site I'm currently working here in east central Ohio sounds a lot like yours. It's Indian (Delaware), dates to the 1750's, and is right on the river.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
MarkDz

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Definitely will keep at it... just waiting for the water to go down. I was just looking at some of your old posts... looks like you have a real sweet site there. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread