DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what type of detecting you want to do...Vaquero is great for all around detecting...other than underwater. I have the Vaquero and love it, just takes some getting used to the manual ground balance and single tone, but its a beast. I definitely recommend it. Get the 5.75 concentric coil too if you can.

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
53 silver sold his E-trac in favor of the Vaquero. E-trac has it's pro's and con's like any machine, but when adding cost into that equasion it doesn't stand a chance on then Vaquero, hands down and flushed, period.

Save yourself a $1000.00 and still find stuff behind the E-trac.

I might become the most hated person on T-net for saying that, but hey, finds do speak for themselves. Check out the minelab thread and see for yourself how well the E-trac picks up a medium/small womans gold ring or anything smaller (if they have found one yet). :laughing7:

OP
OP
outlaw007

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do have an etrac but i think its better on silver than gold. looking at the tesoro for hunting fresh water beaches , school grounds and soccer fields.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man, is that a tough question.

I have a Golden and am thinking about a Vaquero for added depth.

I can tell you the Golden is a fantastic machine. Those multi tones really allow you to decide if you want to dig or not.

If you only want to coin shoot, you'll dig the high tones only and all you'll lose are nickels and zincolns. The only trash you'll possibly dig are crushed aluminum cans.

If you want to look for jewelry, you're going to dig the mid tones also. You'll dig more junk, but that notching system works great. It does a pretty good job on pull tabs, but doesn't eliminate them 100%. You wouldn't want that either. You'd lose jewelry too.

Max depth on the Golden is about 5"-6" if you use the notch, which is good for most of the coins you'll be hunting,

But if depth is a major issue for you, or if you really need a manual ground balance feature, I'd grab the Vaquero.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have asked the same question. After my brother found his second gold coin yesterday I will probably get the Vaquero. I'm used to one tone and beep and dig. As much as I would love to notch out pull tabs I just cant help to think I might be notching gold also.
Nothing will beat your etrac for deep silver but remember if you want the gold you have to dig those pull tabs,and since that is the case I will be getting the Vaquero.The main reason is for the manual ground balance. Sometimes I get to a place where my silver chatters a bit in certain areas.
You can take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I don't own either machine. Hopefully this spring I will have a Vaquero to hunt with my brother. ::)Dan

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
etrac007 said:
i do have an etrac but i think its better on silver than gold. looking at the tesoro for hunting fresh water beaches , school grounds and soccer fields.

Get the Tesoro Golden uMax, you'll be glad that you did. It's perfect for searching those type areas.

tabman

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
cokat7 said:
53 silver sold his E-trac in favor of the Vaquero. E-trac has it's pro's and con's like any machine, but when adding cost into that equasion it doesn't stand a chance on then Vaquero, hands down and flushed, period.

Save yourself a $1000.00 and still find stuff behind the E-trac.

I might become the most hated person on T-net for saying that, but hey, finds do speak for themselves. Check out the minelab thread and see for yourself how well the E-trac picks up a medium/small womans gold ring or anything smaller (if they have found one yet). :laughing7:
cokat7.. Is right the vaquero is deeper than the E-Trac both on Silver & Gold ..... But you will never hear that from the E-Trac cult .............. It has been proven.... But the cult do not want to hear facts............. But like cokat7 said you will find more with the $450.00 Vaquero than with the $1575.00 E-Trac................... So if you want depth you would get the vaquero.. If not and like tones get the golden U-Max

OP
OP
outlaw007

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all your comments and happy holidays! i think i'm getting the vaquero.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
etrac007 said:
thanks for all your comments and happy holidays! i think i'm getting the vaquero.
But your profile does say you use a E-Trac ??????????????????????

OP
OP
outlaw007

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
etrac007 said:
nothing wrong with something different once in awhile!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with a Vaquero. I've used both and while the tones and notch on the Golden are nice, large coils like the clean sweep and 10x12 throw both off.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
etrac007 said:
Keppy said:
etrac007 said:
nothing wrong with something different once in awhile!
If it was me i would sell the E-Trac and get the Vaquero............. But then i am not a fan of the over rated E-Trac...............

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I hope this helps. I have the Tesoro Brochure in front of me and i have spoke with the Tesoro Tech. Fact's are: The Vaquero has 14 Kill/htz and will find 1 gram of gold easy and coins plus relics. List price is $525.00 (But you can check around) and if you want the top without breaking the bank over $1,000 to $1,500 for the (Other) You can check out the New H.O.T. Lobo Super traq which will find 4,5,& 7 grain Gold Nuggets. (7gr. Being the most common.) The retail brochure lists this at $799.00 Fast, accurate & Reliable ground tracking with Disc circuitry lets you relic & coin hunt too. I do not want to knock the other MD but with being under the $1,500 makes it a good deal if you ask me, just $225.00 more than the Vaquero and (Wow $797.50 under the other MD. ( A Teroro distrubitor can send you a brochure). Good luck, hope this helps friend.
Don from F.G. North Cal

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was with you until the 5-6"'s I get deeper than that here in New England.
I pull dimes from 7 to 8 inches.

Smudge said:
Oh man, is that a tough question.

I have a Golden and am thinking about a Vaquero for added depth.

I can tell you the Golden is a fantastic machine. Those multi tones really allow you to decide if you want to dig or not.

If you only want to coin shoot, you'll dig the high tones only and all you'll lose are nickels and zincolns. The only trash you'll possibly dig are crushed aluminum cans.

If you want to look for jewelry, you're going to dig the mid tones also. You'll dig more junk, but that notching system works great. It does a pretty good job on pull tabs, but doesn't eliminate them 100%. You wouldn't want that either. You'd lose jewelry too.

Max depth on the Golden is about 5"-6" if you use the notch, which is good for most of the coins you'll be hunting,

But if depth is a major issue for you, or if you really need a manual ground balance feature, I'd grab the Vaquero.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread