a newbies silly question

miamidave

Aug 23, 2008
hollywood
Detector(s) used
recon pro
Hi guys and gals Im totally new to this hobby I bought a CHEAP detector on ebay(should be here tomorrow)
made a sand scoop and will use an old trowel for digging and a14 inch stainless shish-k-bob skewer for a probe( dont want to spend alot till I see if I like it)
I have read alot of the posts on this site and a few others and am a bit confused about beach hunting. some folks post about wishing a good storm would hit and" bring stuff up" while others post that the storm ruined the beach. so are big storms good or bad for detecting( living in Miami I would like to find somthing positive about a storm) or is it just in the eye of the beholder?
I consider this a silly Question because I know that no matter what kind of answers I get Ill have to figure this out for myself
I just wanted some opinions before I get started
Thanks

Welcome to the hobby.
I could ruin it for the recently lost items but it could also make it better if it washes up some spanish gold from a deeply burried shipwreck.
I hope you got a machine that is good in the salt, not all are.
Good Luck.

You might want to use a brass or aluminum probe with a rounded end.
Get a strong magnet to catch those nails that fool you.
Old broken computer drives have very strong magnets.
Some folks here on the left coast use wooden pallets for bonfires
and yes they do lose things, but those darned nails spread out too.

I beach hunt when I can and if a storm comes along, I try to be there asap after it's gone.
Never know what the tide brought in until you look.
Yup, maybe it took away that diamond ring that was there (somewhere)
but it may have replaced it with gold dubloons! ;D

HH
Greydigger

My advice is: The most important factor in beach hunting is Location
Study the beaches in your area
You want the beaches that are the most crowded with people swimming, horseplaying, drinking etc
That's where you'll find the jewelry

greydigger said:
Yup, maybe it took away that diamond ring that was there (somewhere)

But that same ring maybe back with the next storm. Thats what beach hunting all about.

Also nobody said this yet storms also remove sand so deeper targets are now shallow at least for a little while till they sink deep again.

Storms remove sand from the deeply buried targets and also wash up targets that were in deeper water. A brass probe won't damage the coins as much, but most of the ones you'll find will be clad.

To learn more on beach hunting, visit http://thegoldenolde.com/

Storm Good! No Storm Okay, but Storm Good!

HH,
Ramapirate

Hi miamidave

Welcome to T'net!
One reason you'll find conflicting opinions about storms bringing stuff in or taking stuff away is - in my opinion - because of the way the currents run. Also, the features of the coastline determines whether a storm will cause more sand to be deposited or more sand to be washed away. I remember it has to do with how steep the angle of the beach is, but can't remember... steep or shallow... which one causes which effect. A basic text or online search on Oceanography should give enough info to determine what kind of beaches you're near.

Good Luck & HH

Kilika

Besides the fact that things from deep water will be washed in, it'll refresh a hunted out beach by uncovering deeper items. I'll also get a couple good days of surf before it hits. Not hanging around for direct hit from Gustav though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back