A nice surprise in my mountain of clad!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't feeling detecting in the rain today so I thought Id cash in my years clad, Photo11220740.jpg went to the coinstar and managed to get $100.34 after they took their percentage. The total was 112.61 for the year Photo11220921.jpg , I had over 1700 coins dug once you count the rejects. Photo11220932.jpg Add in my silvers, wheats, and other old keeper coins and Im well over 2000 coins dug this year, I think that's a pretty good year! Plus I found a nice little surprise in the mix, a 1945 D war nickel! Photo11221259.jpg Not bad Ill take it. All that clad digging helped me by my wife's Ipod Nano for her birthday, a win win for both of us lol

Last edited:
Upvote 8

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
You have secured valuable detecting time with the gift. KARMA nice nickle. jgas

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool man!....that happened to me a couple years ago, I tumbled all my coins and one of them became EXTREMLY Shiney and it was a silver rosie i must have never seen...Congrats on that clad total!

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will coinstar take dirty coins like that, or did you tumble them first?

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I washed them all first. I don't have a tumbler so I just put them in a big container a little at a time and poured boiling hot water in the container and shook the heck out of them and changed the water til the water turned clean, lol a bit of work but I had nothing else to do today

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I jammed a couple machines just rinsing them off...Its worth tumbling them. I ended up losing some of the money because the girl couldnt get it out of the machine...so she cashed me out by what it was showing ont he screen....A Lesson learned on my part.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why bother cleaning them? I roll them up and bank them. I rinse them under water to get all the dirt off but I dont care that they are black. Is that a no no?

oh I don't care about the coins being black, just doing a courtesy so theyre not all dirty when I bring em, they usually get dirt free but remain black

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why bother cleaning them? I roll them up and bank them. I rinse them under water to get all the dirt off but I dont care that they are black. Is that a no no?

Hell, If your bank will take them..thats great!..My bank wont touch them. i only tumble them for about 1 hour, just to get the dirt off...the black aint worth getting off

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's another way to keep the wife from complaining when you run off to detect lol

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice clad count.

I like coinstar as a convenience when I need money fast. Outside of that, I'd just assume roll them with a few clean on the ends and be done with it.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
In 2009 when I got back into detecting I was sorting through detecting change at the of the end of the year and found a WTN. Since then I've checked every coins date found. Worked this year when another wtn showed up! Lesson learned

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2009 when I got back into detecting I was sorting through detecting change at the of the end of the year and found a WTN. Since then I've checked every coins date found. Worked this year when another wtn showed up! Lesson learned

that's awesome, Im surprised I missed this war nickel, but as you can see, Pennsylvania soil isn't so kind to them, looked like clad junk until I took a closer look

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tumbled my clad twice so far this year and have 1 more time when I am finished for the year. After tumbling the second time, I found a '46 Washington that fooled me into thinking it was clad, lol. Congrats on the war nickel. I have yet to find one. Pretty sure the rest of my time will be spent in cornfields till the freeze, so maybe next year!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's making all that digging pay off twice! Once in a while there's a surprise in the clad. This hobby is full of surprises! Most of them good lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread