ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you quite sure that you lack "arrogance"
Hard to tell with your above triad. :laughing7:
Well, at least you got a "like" from Franklin. Hear, hear!
I am not the only one who has made note that the La Formule has NO direct connection to Oak Island except for where it was found among Jim McInnis's papers.
That weak association does not really connect it to Oak Island by any logical conclusion.
Now, if you can produce actual documented evidence that the message in La Formule Cipher is directly to Oak Island, please feel free to bring it forth.

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I correct in thinking you're assuming that 'Ne terrer pas' was intended to be 'Ne terrier pas', despite this being a noun? I admit I'm puzzled as to why 'terrer' might have been used in this context. Anyway, this piece itself is a French class from hell, so there's room for interpretation. My comment on his school report? He could do better.

GJB The French language has a lot of flavours, especially when it comes to this side of the pond. Quebecois, Acadian and Louisiana Cajun to name a few, much like you have the Brits, Scots and Irish. Words have many variations across these dialects. The word terrer has the meaning in this situation as DIG, so the sentence says" Don't Dig Here" that is without question.

If you understand Parisian French listen to this and it will explain the shift in words that changed over time to evolve into Quebecois.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly have a truly relaxed attitude to proof. You could do society a great favour by never sitting on a jury.

Finding nothing at the Money Pit doesn't prove there was nothing there, though I consider that likely. It certainly doesn't prove that nothing was ever deposited elsewhere on the island.

That's the problem with proving the non-existance of something. The lack of evidence to support nothingness. So all it takes to upset the premise is . . . physical evidence. So far the 240 years of physical evidence from Oak Island is unconvincing.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
What you have drawn is just the arbitrary and subjective imposition of patterns upon features you have thought relevant whether or not they actually existed or even if they did exist it was in the way you believed them to.

Zena Halpern was the subject of a hoax. To take the dubious 'translation' of the hoax prop and assign it a meaning that you can use for your alignment theory is a triple compounding of the hoax. Who are you trying to fool, us or yourself?

If you think you have something real (and it better be better than the Zena map translation guff you just tried) then run it by the crew on the island. They are easy to reach and do reply.

They hold a lot more data than you even know exists or are privy to.

They take a look at what you are theorising about all those alignments and features. They simply compare it with what is real; all the surveys, scans, elevations and records which have since been digitised, integrated and analysed with modern technology.

This enables them to work out pretty quickly if you know what you are talking about, if you don't know what you are talking about or if you have just been making things up.

To get a reply you either have to had nailed it or be so bad that they want you on the show for the 'guest theorist' segment.

If you just have some ordinary, run of the mill, uninteresting and wrong brainwave about Oak Island, you won't get a reply.

pqm6oxdzcy001.jpg

Last edited:

Mollyerter

Sep 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve never been entirely happy about the 90 ft (Kempton) cipher stone and was equally dubious when the La Formule cipher made its appearance, particularly as it seems thereā€™s no real proof that it pertains to Oak Island, and thereā€™s no saying that it couldnā€™t be a fake.

Thereā€™s also some question about what it might be revealing. The following seems to be a fair translation of the text as widely presented:

ā€œHalt, donā€™t be timid. Dig at 40 feet with the angle 45 degrees. The shaft at 522 feet at your entry. The corridor at 1065 feet reaches the chamber.ā€

La Formule. Halte. Ne terrer pas. Creuser a quarante pied avec a angle de quarante cinq degre. La hampe a cinq cent deus pied a vous entre. Le correidor a un mil soisante cinq pied atteinte la chambre. ... la valeur.

The above French language solution is by Kevin Knight and Nadda Aldarrab. See:

Blockhouse Blog: La Formule Cipher Investigation

For me, the test would be whether the plaintext as above might fit with my suggested Oak Island ground plan (geometry). It does, but this might be coincidence.

My attempts to reproduce the original Oak Island ground plan predate the publication of La Formule by some ten years. The overall island geometry as I see it, and much as originally published in 2002, is shown below.

OIOverlay8.gif

As noted in previous posts, given the internal detail of the treasure maps, I imagine that the deposit may have been made to the north and slightly east of the Money Pit, potentially at the centre of the rhombus shown at the northeast of the island on the plan.

This might be better appreciated in the extract below which attempts to place all the reported and well known ground features on a single geometrical plan that ties them all together.

LaFormuleP.gif

One significant feature of this plan is the suggestion of a Geometrical Swamp and the possibility that the deposit was made by a tunnel from its centre. The origin of the tunnel is the point marked ā€˜Aā€™ and extends magnetic eastwards for a length of precisely 60 rods (990 feet) to the point marked ā€˜Dā€™, and from this point to the ā€˜Xā€™ that might mark the spot is 5 rods (82.5 feet) bearing magnetic south.
It happens that were such a passage broken into precisely mid-way (at point 'B') by tunnelling at 45 degrees then the distance to the chamber entrance from the point the corridor is breached (at point 'C') would be 522 feet, and the corridor length to the centre of the chamber would be 1065 feet (the distances in feet being rounded up).

LaFormuleX.gif

Note that 790 links is 521.4 feet (522 feet) and 1612.5 links is 1064.25 feet (1065 feet).

This possibility leads me to question my doubts about the 90 feet stone. My thought has always been that, if genuine, the intention may have been to bury this stone above the deposit. However, maybe this would have been too obvious were it accidentally unearthed and it was left in the Money Pit as an indicator of the depth of the deposit from the surface. At the time, that could have been about at sea level (above the water line).

I imagine that the La Formule cipher, if genuine, would be an indicator that the ā€˜Xā€™ is at the right spot rather than being instructions for accessing the deposit. A tunnel at 45 degrees would not provide an easy incline to remove a sizeable and potentially heavy deposit.

Note that digging at the ā€˜Xā€™ would not bring you crashing through the roof of the chamber onto the treasure but slightly overlapping it, at the rear, by the radius of the shaft being dug.

As said, it could be coincidence, but, nevertheless, I find it a strange coincidence as the length of the tunnel and the position of the 'X' are a consequence of geometry - they were not fixed by me.

You did a great job! Perhaps this question is really interesting!

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you ever play 3-card monte? You know exactly where the card is, because you watched it , never took your eyes off it. BUT! guess what , you were wrong, you looked in the Wrong Spot.Picked the wrong card, even though you would bet your ass, you are correct. You lost by speculation by what you saw. 000.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thousands of so called "code breakers" and other hoaxers looking to gain fame from the oak island hoax have been at this for two hundred years hoping to gain relevance and recognition from the masses.

The made up story of the McGinnis brothers to cover their getting home late has been the primary source material for scammers fleecing folks to out of their money for 200 years.

Its always laughable to see yet another new set of grid lines relating to stars, bacon's bacon, fictional beales codes, aztec gold, martians, etc. laid over a map of the island....

The island has been extensively dug for 200 years and not one piece of evidence has ever been found relating to a templar, bacon, shakespeare, black beard, or other fictional treasure.

Modern day scammers have learned to fleece advertisers for a fictional tv show that is scripted with poor actors.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly have a truly relaxed attitude to proof. You could do society a great favour by never sitting on a jury.

Finding nothing at the Money Pit doesn't prove there was nothing there, though I consider that likely. It certainly doesn't prove that nothing was ever deposited elsewhere on the island.

If they're looking in the wrong place then it's not at all surprising that they're finding nothing.

I've sat several, including grand jury. Lets take this as if it was a Jury Trial and, as far as the prosecution we'll say burying treasure was illegal.

So here's the case.

Judge: "Please state the accusation."

DA: "Your Honor, we the prosecution wish to accuse some party unknown with recklessly and maliciously burying an unknown treasure for unknown purpose on Oak Island, even though as yet, in 240 years of extensive searching, it has never been noted that any treasure was in fact buried or later found; and we really don't have any evidence that a few references to possible missing treasure through history ever made it to this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Or, that those who may have possessed these treasures as yet unknown buried it but lacked interest in recovering this treasure since it has been buried."

Judge: "So, you have no evidence, no defendant, no witness or testimony and no motive. Case dismissed."

DA: "I object! It may be where we haven't looked yet."

Judge: "In that case come back when you have looked where it is and can link it to a named defendant. In the meantime we're just playing the board game Clue with blank cards and we haven't even found Mr. Boddy lying about."

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far the best translation they showed was generated by a computer program from Kevin Burns' supercomputer CARMEL, but being the genius programmers that they were instead of programming the software with a word recognition tech that examined a 18th century dictionary of words used at THAT time....they used their own word lists compiled from more current lists.....completely amateur.

That gave them the translation with the words TAKING NINE ENEMA and NOT BAT BRO HARRAR JEW LIKED OVEN

So that about does it for me.....gotta believe them :laughing7: when the hand written "cipher" showed both the names Levasseur and McGinnis at the bottom of the page. That makes it seem so much more authentic, don't you think?

Formula Cipher.jpg

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far the best translation they showed was generated by a computer program from Kevin Burns' supercomputer CARMEL, but being the genius programmers that they were instead of programming the software with a word recognition tech that examined a 18th century dictionary of words used at THAT time....they used their own word lists compiled from more current lists.....completely amateur.

That gave them the translation with the words TAKING NINE ENEMA and NOT BAT BRO HARRAR JEW LIKED OVEN

So that about does it for me.....gotta believe them :laughing7: when the hand written "cipher" showed both the names Levasseur and McGinnis at the bottom of the page. That makes it seem so much more authentic, don't you think?

View attachment 1876169

Edit: Kevin Burns was the producer of the show.....it was Kevin Knight that was trying to play codebreaker in that episode...my mistake

Kevin Burns
Kevin Knight

Burns Knight

That sounds like the fate of the Templars right there.........

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sat several, including grand jury. Lets take this as if it was a Jury Trial and, as far as the prosecution we'll say burying treasure was illegal.

So here's the case.

Judge: "Please state the accusation."

DA: "Your Honor, we the prosecution wish to accuse some party unknown with recklessly and maliciously burying an unknown treasure for unknown purpose on Oak Island, even though as yet, in 240 years of extensive searching, it has never been noted that any treasure was in fact buried or later found; and we really don't have any evidence that a few references to possible missing treasure through history ever made it to this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Or, that those who may have possessed these treasures as yet unknown buried it but lacked interest in recovering this treasure since it has been buried."

Judge: "So, you have no evidence, no defendant, no witness or testimony and no motive. Case dismissed."

DA: "I object! It may be where we haven't looked yet."

Judge: "In that case come back when you have looked where it is and can link it to a named defendant. In the meantime we're just playing the board game Clue with blank cards and we haven't even found Mr. Boddy lying about."

Ever throw a case just cause the DA was a POS.....LOL

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ā€œciphersā€ claimed to be for locating treasure on hoax island are fiction, period.

Over the past few years weā€™ve seen unending constellation maps, bacon menus, ā€œcodedā€ Shakespeare writings, etc. (give it a few months and even more will pop up). All fiction....

DonaldTX

Apr 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone not needed to create Nolan Cross

Iā€™ve never been entirely happy about the 90 ft (Kempton) cipher stone and was equally dubious when the La Formule cipher made its appearance, particularly as it seems thereā€™s no real proof that it pertains to Oak Island, and thereā€™s no saying that it couldnā€™t be a fake.

Thereā€™s also some question about what it might be revealing. The following seems to be a fair translation of the text as widely presented:

ā€œHalt, donā€™t be timid. Dig at 40 feet with the angle 45 degrees. The shaft at 522 feet at your entry. The corridor at 1065 feet reaches the chamber.ā€

La Formule. Halte. Ne terrer pas. Creuser a quarante pied avec a angle de quarante cinq degre. La hampe a cinq cent deus pied a vous entre. Le correidor a un mil soisante cinq pied atteinte la chambre. ... la valeur.

The above French language solution is by Kevin Knight and Nadda Aldarrab. See:

Blockhouse Blog: La Formule Cipher Investigation

For me, the test would be whether the plaintext as above might fit with my suggested Oak Island ground plan (geometry). It does, but this might be coincidence.

My attempts to reproduce the original Oak Island ground plan predate the publication of La Formule by some ten years. The overall island geometry as I see it, and much as originally published in 2002, is shown below.

OIOverlay8.gif

As noted in previous posts, given the internal detail of the treasure maps, I imagine that the deposit may have been made to the north and slightly east of the Money Pit, potentially at the centre of the rhombus shown at the northeast of the island on the plan.

This might be better appreciated in the extract below which attempts to place all the reported and well known ground features on a single geometrical plan that ties them all together.

LaFormuleP.gif

One significant feature of this plan is the suggestion of a Geometrical Swamp and the possibility that the deposit was made by a tunnel from its centre. The origin of the tunnel is the point marked ā€˜Aā€™ and extends magnetic eastwards for a length of precisely 60 rods (990 feet) to the point marked ā€˜Dā€™, and from this point to the ā€˜Xā€™ that might mark the spot is 5 rods (82.5 feet) bearing magnetic south.
It happens that were such a passage broken into precisely mid-way (at point 'B') by tunnelling at 45 degrees then the distance to the chamber entrance from the point the corridor is breached (at point 'C') would be 522 feet, and the corridor length to the centre of the chamber would be 1065 feet (the distances in feet being rounded up).

LaFormuleX.gif

Note that 790 links is 521.4 feet (522 feet) and 1612.5 links is 1064.25 feet (1065 feet).

This possibility leads me to question my doubts about the 90 feet stone. My thought has always been that, if genuine, the intention may have been to bury this stone above the deposit. However, maybe this would have been too obvious were it accidentally unearthed and it was left in the Money Pit as an indicator of the depth of the deposit from the surface. At the time, that could have been about at sea level (above the water line).

I imagine that the La Formule cipher, if genuine, would be an indicator that the ā€˜Xā€™ is at the right spot rather than being instructions for accessing the deposit. A tunnel at 45 degrees would not provide an easy incline to remove a sizeable and potentially heavy deposit.

Note that digging at the ā€˜Xā€™ would not bring you crashing through the roof of the chamber onto the treasure but slightly overlapping it, at the rear, by the radius of the shaft being dug.

As said, it could be coincidence, but, nevertheless, I find it a strange coincidence as the length of the tunnel and the position of the 'X' are a consequence of geometry - they were not fixed by me.

Start at the stone not needed to create Nolanā€™s cross and do the North by 24 degrees for 522 feet then do the other angle and go 1065 feet.

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You state this as fact, as if you know it to be incontrovertible. However, unlike you, I lack the arrogance to claim that I know any of the answers. I try to work things out from whatever might appear to be relevant, dismissing nothing that could hold the merest clue to the solution to the mystery.

On the other hand, attempting to work things out appears to be outdated here. Anyone can say that something is right and it becomes so, particularly you.

You clearly believe that you know intuitively what is fact and what is not, and I see nobody here challenging this, so, once more, I'll leave the forum to benefit from your claimed omniscience. After all, you are clearly a paragon of right thinking.

this just needs to be restated

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When someone quotes Zena Halpern, no one bothers to read any further.

...and when Diana Jean Muir states that Halpern's map is a copy of a copy of a 19th century hoax map, the irony is quite evident in that statement. :laughing7:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start at the stone not needed to create Nolan?ā‚¬ā„¢s cross and do the North by 24 degrees for 522 feet then do the other angle and go 1065 feet.

Why not just follow the cross to the southern most point of Nova Scotia where it points to?

There you find the map of the location of the next step in the journey....if you were lucky enough to get off the island......The Nolan Cross points directly at the Overton Stone on the shore near Yarmouth

attachment.php

Attachments

• YarmouthIntervale.jpg
    YarmouthIntervale.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 256

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The La Formule was claimed to been found behind a stone in Daniel McInnis house, but was never mentioned until the McInnis sisters book which claims in was found among Jim McInnis's papers in 1996.
There is no direct connection to Oak Island except for it being included with those found McInnis papers and wishful expectations.
What it is connected by having the same exact symbols is the Reverend Kempton Cipher, which Kempton claims was given to him on 1906 but made public in 1949, 20 years before the "discovery" of the La Formule Cipher in the papers of Jim McInnis.
The La Formule Ciphers having NO DIRECT connection to Oak Island appear to be an example force fitting to support one's speculative suppositions.

Eldo, you must have not read this post. :read2:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just follow the cross to the southern most point of Nova Scotia where it points to?

There you find the map of the location of the next step in the journey....if you were lucky enough to get off the island......The Nolan Cross points directly at the Overton Stone on the shore near Yarmouth

attachment.php

The nonsense continues.....

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Stone 2Richelieu.jpg