What's new

a question about planchets

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I found my first blank planchet today. Cool thing. But, I have a question.

I've seen a few on the site before, and most seem to be blank on ONE side. One side is normal, and one side had some issue that caused it to be blank. Mine is blank on BOTH sides.

is this normal?

I checked it very carefully. It is not just a worn down penny. I have a few of those. This one thoough is NOT worn down. The edges are still normal, the thickness is normal, and there are NO signs of ANY striking.

So, are most blank planchets blank on one side or blank on both sides?

What have you guys (And gals) found to be the case?
 
Upvote 0
I found one like you described, raised rim, completely blank on both sides. It is a blank planchet.
 
I believe due to the way dies work you should find only blank on both sides. One side only should always be a coin that has been worn down intentionally. The exception to this is a coin partially out of the collar. You would have only part of the impression yet still on both sides.
 
jrf30 said:
I found my first blank planchet today. Cool thing. But, I have a question.

I've seen a few on the site before, and most seem to be blank on ONE side. One side is normal, and one side had some issue that caused it to be blank. Mine is blank on BOTH sides.

is this normal?

I checked it very carefully. It is not just a worn down penny. I have a few of those. This one thoough is NOT worn down. The edges are still normal, the thickness is normal, and there are NO signs of ANY striking.

So, are most blank planchets blank on one side or blank on both sides?

What have you guys (And gals) found to be the case?

Well I have found both types. A blank planchet is the coin that is blank on both sides. Now the tricky part there are two types of blank planchets. Ones like you describe, has the raised rim just like a penny. They are the most commen of the two(i have found 4 this year). The second actual blank planchet is blank on both sides and does not have a raised rim(the most rare of blank plancets). now there is another error that is mistaken as a blank planchet. This coin is blank on one side also known as a brockage error or capped die. This error is caused when a struck coin remains on either die after stiking, and when the next strike occurs the side with the struck coin with either imprint a mirror image of the coin onto the new planchet are not be strong enough to imprint the new planchet at all, leaving one side blank(I have posted one on here also).

I hope this helps,
Jason
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom