A Seated and Fatty Indian

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Hi Folks,
Got out to an old Agricultural Fairgrounds (1867-1910) that I have worked every other year when it is in beans for the last 8 yrs. one of those place's where the finds are getting harder to come by but are still here if you work it slow. Was here for 4 hrs. and managed a 1863"fatty" Indian which the fertilizer's are hard on and a 1877 Seated Dime in fairly decent shape. This gives me a total of 43 coins from here. I do believe a place never totally gets worked out because where I found these 2 coins today has been gone over by me before and been gridded. I guess the freezing and thawing in winter and spring moves them.
Thanks for looking
Mike

DSC01008.JPG DSC01009.JPG DSC01010.JPG DSC01012.JPG DSC01020.JPG DSC01011.JPG DSC01015.JPG DSC01016.JPG

Upvote 13

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome looking seated there ! :occasion14: Doesn't get much better than that out here , still seeking my 2nd Seated anything here :BangHead:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet lookin silver :occasion14:

Reiska

Aug 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
GM4 Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sharp looking coin. Congrats!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, Being from Illinois as you are, I can relate to the crusty coppers from the fields. Everything helps to keep those coins moving towards the top, freezing, thawing, planting seeds, disking, knifing in chemicals you name it. As I said in a post a few days ago, I have hunted fields 5 or 6 yrs. until I can go in there for an hour or two, & not get so much as a beep. Until that happens, I continue to hunt it & usually come away with some sort of a find that made it worth the hunt. Keep on that field. If your still pulling 1863 Fatties & Seated silvers, there is more waiting for you.

OP
OP
M

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Hey Mike, Being from Illinois as you are, I can relate to the crusty coppers from the fields. Everything helps to keep those coins moving towards the top, freezing, thawing, planting seeds, disking, knifing in chemicals you name it. As I said in a post a few days ago, I have hunted fields 5 or 6 yrs. until I can go in there for an hour or two, & not get so much as a beep. Until that happens, I continue to hunt it & usually come away with some sort of a find that made it worth the hunt. Keep on that field. If your still pulling 1863 Fatties & Seated silvers, there is more waiting for you.

Thanks TH. I think you hit the nail on the head with the knifing in of the chemicals. After the beans are picked in the fall I will follow the stub rows where the beans had been planted and seem to have better luck. I think the knifing in brings the coins more to the surface, and possibly turns the coins on edge flat again. Mike.

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

You have a really good site going there don't you:leprechaun-hat:.... spectacular finds. Up in MN we finally got some much needed rain (2" rain deficit until yesterday).

I 100% agree that no site is ever EVER hunted out... even little schoolhouse field sites.

I gridded a really nice site I have that has produced probably 25 very nice coins, and then this Spring, I find an 1892 Barber Quarter (yep, a big ol' quarter) right in the center of the school yard that I hit very hard..... gotta love agricultural sites... let the farmer do the work!

Cheers on cool (SEATED!!!!!) finds!:occasion14:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that nice seated

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure would like to take a Seat one day........... :sad1:

Congrats to you though!

OP
OP
M

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Mike,

You have a really good site going there don't you:leprechaun-hat:.... spectacular finds. Up in MN we finally got some much needed rain (2" rain deficit until yesterday).

I 100% agree that no site is ever EVER hunted out... even little schoolhouse field sites.

I gridded a really nice site I have that has produced probably 25 very nice coins, and then this Spring, I find an 1892 Barber Quarter (yep, a big ol' quarter) right in the center of the school yard that I hit very hard..... gotta love agricultural sites... let the farmer do the work!

Cheers on cool (SEATED!!!!!) finds!:occasion14:

Congrats on all the coins you have found at the old school, especially the Barber Quarter. Yea sometimes when you keep hitting the same spot and one day you find a couple of oldies and the next time or two nothing you wonder if it's worked out, and worth hitting again. Then when you have ones of those days when you cannot think of where to go and end up back at one of those spots and find some more oldies, it seems to worth the effort.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Seated, she has good detail. :occasion14: I'll take an IHP in any shape.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a spot you know that you can go to time and time again and pull great finds!, love the seated and indian, great hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread