A strange spherical rock

TheDude1978

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170828_195518.jpg

Found this strange spherical rock while out metal detecting the other day. It doesn't register on my metal detector, but i found it interesting so i picked it up. Anyone have any ideas on what it is? I put a quarter and a jar of carmex next to the item for a size reference.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like an Indian game ball to me! :occasion14:

Attachments

• 10965673_1_x.jpg
    10965673_1_x.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheDude1978

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Indian game ball, thats interesting. Maybe there are more artifacts in that area. Thanks Terry Soloman!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheDude1978

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in west michigan, and i dont believe that there is much granite here in michigan. I guess i will need to do some research about this. Thanks everybody.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live just north of you, NW lower peninsula of MI - we have quite a bit of granite actually, most of it glacial erratics. Pretty rare to see one spherically shaped but not unheard of, wouldn't surprise me either if it was crafted by a Native American for God knows what purpose lol

Probably shaped by rolling around in a glacier for a few centuries though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheDude1978

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i found it while digging in my back yard, so maybe my back yard is a hot spot for Native American artifacts. Kind of exciting to think about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheDude1978

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stdenis_jd, hunt any good sites here in west michigan? I'm kind of new to the sport, an i haven't left my yard yet. I just moved into a new house, so i was able to hunt my old yard which was in Grand Rapids, and now I moved east to a much larger yard that is keeping me busy. I bought a metal detector for my 5 year old son, and he loves going out and digging holes and looking for treasure.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's really hit and miss in Michigan due to the fact most everything north of you is glacial deposits. What I do is get on Google earth and zoom in just close enough to see gravel pits. Many of them are decommissioned so you can walk right in, but some of them u need permission and some of them are simply no access. Beaches are always good, I like to take a wire brush and walk out in the water and look around since a lot of the beaches are already picked clean.

Do some searches and learn more about what common rocks are found in your area so it will be easier to spot what you're interested in. Michigan is a plant fossil hotbed since we were a shallow salt water sea a few hundred million years ago. Lots of sandstone and limestone fossils, petoskey stones, pudding stones, etc.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah, the wire brush is to lightly remove any algae/tannins from the rocks. Oxalic acid is a good way to remove that stuff and iron staining. Most rocks you find in the water will have some degree of crud lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread