A trip to Hedges ( ghostown ) Via Picacho ( the loooong way around )

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I went down towards Yuma last week and tried to take in a couple of " ghost towns ". First I headed up to Picacho and on through to the Colorado Rvr. Here are some pixs for everyone...

Sign at the graveyard at Picacho
PICT0004.JPG

The graveyard
PICT0005.JPG

Not much was there so I heade to the end of the route which was the Picacho Recreation park. Which ended at The Colorado Rvr, but while there I saw a sign that read Ogilsby 27 miles. I also wanted to go to Hedges and decided to take the road.

The Colorado River
PICT0014.JPG

The sandwagon in action
PICT0043.JPG

As I took the road to Oglisby I saw a American Flag with what appeared to be a grave and went in for a closer look. Apparently a mule named " Lonesome " had passed away and his owner made this grave for him. If anyone can make out what it says on the tombstone I loved to know...

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0027.JPG

About halfway to Hedges I came across some of the locals...
PICT0038.JPG

Then I finally arrived at Hedges, it was here that the TUMCO gold mine was worked. TUMCO stood for The United Mining COmpany. For more info on the mine itself check out this link:
http://www.desertusa.com/colorado/hedges_tumco/du_hedged.html

Tumco Cyanide tanks
PICT0086.JPG

Abandoned Buildings
PICT0069.JPG

Some old time leather
PICT0074.JPG

Tailings ??
PICT0056.JPG

Well there you have it... I have more pixs but maybe this will " whett " apetite. I hope you like the pixs, I had a GREAT time....

Thx
PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hammer,
Those hills look awful, that has got to be some of the WORST places to hunt... I mean, I'm sure there's gold but those hills look REAL tuff to climb around...

PLL

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
My interpretation follows.

What I can make out of the first half:
Mans Best Friend

Hello

LOMESOME and I (ROY) have been together for 16 years this July 1983 ??????

(I think at this point he starts writing about how God took ole Lonesome and of the times he's has spent with ole Lonesome, he also mentions some of his other animals, like a dog.)

Second half:
Please don’t destroy this grave. Add a rock or 2 if you want to. Some day I will have the money to buy a headstone. I’m 71 years old and had a heart attack. I hope to make it back again this winter. I’d like to hear from you and how the grave is doing.

Roy B. M?

Nice photos and story, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Ant,
Thankx for the deciphering....Maybe other people may be able to add more..

Thx
PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yellow Hammer said:
Don't me that too tuff stuff I saw you last trip and you kept up with me. You would have no problem.
Hammer, that is ABSOLUTELY the roughest country I've ever seen. Very jagged with a TON of sheer drops and just a all around nast place to be. can you imagine being there in the 1800's ???

C. Myers

Greenie
Jun 9, 2008
Oceanside, CA.
Great photo's.

Just be careful down in that area. 99.0% of that area is currently claimed from many gold hunting groups. From Oligiby Road to the Colorado River and from I-8 to north of Indian Pass Road. And from hear say - some of these groups are getting pretty upset over claim jumpers. There is even concerns over the corner posts - who crossed over who's claim.

And as far as Tumco (Hedges) - that whole area is covered under the Antiquities Act. You can park outside the fence and walk in. No detectors allowed. The same for the Indian Reservation areas that are in this area.

Which is sad. I grew up going into the Hedges when it was still shafts - not open pits. The government at work - go figure.

C. Myers

Greenie
Jun 9, 2008
Oceanside, CA.
Hi Pegleg -
Went to the website that you talked about and the article states that he (Cactus Jim) had tried to drywash in around the town area 12 years ago. And if I remember - that article ran a couple of years ago. I did not look at the date.

That would be about the time frame that BLM took over Hedges and closed it off to vehicle traffic.

We have a couple of claims down there and know of others who have claims as well.
We usually spend every other weekend down in that area from Sept. to April - depending on the weather.

There are some really unique things to discover - you just need to take your time and drive the roads.

Also - there is not a day down that way that a BLM ranger or Border Patrol (on foot, vehicle and plane) doesn't go through the area and not just one area. Not worried about border patrol - but the Rangers down there can make you feel not welcome - even when on your own claim!

Got to love them!

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thanks for the pics! I've spent a few weeks out in the area and it's one of the most beautiful, isolated places around. Gold is elusive there. sometimes you find it, sometimes you don't. I know a guy who spent several years full time out there, and told me he couldn'd make a decent living there. This was in the 40's when he was there. Thanks for posting.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Mining claims that are located on public land are not off limits to metal detecting. You can hunt for meteorites and coins, and if you like to collect rocks you can do that too. Camping, fishing and hunting are also allowed as long as you don’t interfere with mining operations.

The holder of an unpatented Mining Claim that is located on public land only has the rights to locatable precious metals/minerals, not the land or the activities that take place on it. I would advise anyone to be careful and armed, and don’t’ fool around out there alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread